cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 PPPOE Problems

doingsteel
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the USA and have deployed an RV082 in a remote office in Romania using ROMTELCOM dsl as their service.

After I switched the DSL Modem to bridge mode the RV082 instantly connected to the PPPOE and estiblished a VPN back to my main office in the US. Everything seemed great.

2 Days later it stopped getting an IP Address from the PPPOE Connection. I had the office check with ROMTELCOM and they acknowledged a problem on their side. Connection came back alive in the middle of the night (Even though ROMTELCOM said they would not be able to work on it until the next day (holliday)).

Worked again for a full day. Then in the middle of the night the connection starts dropping out and then comming back. Loosing about 50% of packets over the course of an hour. Then it gradualy gets worse through the rest of the night until there are no packets going through.

ROMTELCOM then comes to their office and disconnects all of my network equipment. Resets the ADSL Modem to factory defaults and got a connection going. Leaving the network there inoperable (but with a connection at least for the time being). Since they reset the ADSL to defaults I have no way now to tell if the connection is still intermittent or not. (Everyone gone for the weekend).

This is our 4th RV082 in service, the other three being solid as a rock and this one was tested for 2 weeks in house before sending it to Romania and displayed no issues in staging. The RV082 also has had no issue on the internal network. When the PPPOE was down, network stats on the WAN port were all good going to the ADSL modem.

So the questions is. Can ROMTELCOM be right that this is an issue with the RV082? Every symptom I have seen points to their systems. Except them getting the connection hot again by removing the ADSL modem from bridge mode. (Of course I cannot at this time varify that the connection is stable, just that it worked again for the one guy in the office after they killed my setup there).

I am wanting to make them go back out and put it back into bridged mode. And then diagnose the PPPOE connection with the RV082 after that. (Unless this is a known issue with the RV082 that I was unaware of as this is the first we have needed to use PPPOE and the first deployment outside of the US).

Thanks

1 Reply 1

doingsteel
Level 1
Level 1

Also... The RV082 is new (about a month old now) with the latest firmware 4.2.1.02