Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 restarts itself

oliversl1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have an RV082 router that a few days ago started restarting itself after normal usage.

The simpton is that when people come to office, starting using the Internet the RV082 resets. It stays online for 3 to 12 minutes and then it resets again.

I solved the issue by:

• clicking on Reset to Factory Default in the web interface
  • after the reset, I confirmed that it was reset to factory default I reset it again using the reset buttom
  • re-configure the RV082 manually

I also tested with another identical rv082 (hw version and firmware version) and after doing a backup of the config of the original rv082 and restoring it in the new rv082, the same problem happends.

So my cuestion is: why does this happend? And how to avoid to happend again?

I have the latest firmware in both rv082 (2.0.0.19-tm)

Many thanks

Oliver

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl --> My e-mail after a captcha

20 Replies 20

Hi,

I will see tomorrow if it crashes again (I'm sure it will). Then I will plug the switch and the router directly on the plug without passing through the UPS (that may not be grounded correctly). If it crashes again, I will buy an APC ProtectNet Gigabit Ethernet Surge Protector to put in between the router and the switch and two others to put between the router and the two WANS.

If it still crashes, I will plug my users to pfsense and further investigate (like changing the switch and the modems, I had the RV016 set up with another modem and switch and it never crashed).

Thank you for your help, I will keep you informed tomorrow !

Hi all,

24 hours without a crash. I just removed a Wan, a hotspot and removed the router and the switch from the UPS. I also noticed through the web admin of my switch that some computers were at 10 Mb/s and one was in half duplex so I fix these (most of the problems were due to cables).

Not all my collegues were there yesterday so the load may be higher today. I will install the surge protectors as soon as I receive them (today I hope) and see if everything is OK. I will keep you informed.

Olivier what switch did you buy as a replacement for your 3 COM one ?

Hi all,

Impossible to make it work. I will buy a new router.

I switched to pfsense as a backup for some days and it worked like a charm. I've borrowed a multi-wan router from another brand and I'm actually testing it.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

oliversl1
Level 1
Level 1

My solution was to exchange the 3Com swtich but also to do a hard reset of the RV082.

The hard reset I done like this:

1. press the reset button for 30 seconds, do not release

2. with the reset button still pressed, turn of the RV082

3. with the reset button still pressed, turn on the RV082

4. wait 30 seconds, then load the firmware from the special page http://192.168.1.1

5. manually configure the RV082 after the automatic restart

If you power cycle the RV082 without doing step 4, you end up in a factory reset state. But for example

the log is not cleared.

Then I had to manually configure the RV082, if I restore a backup config, the same problem occurs.

HTH

Oliver

Good morning,

I had a similar problem because my RV082 restarted itself after 30 seconds.

I solved the problem with your informations, so I post my feed back.

I explain the situation.

I bought RV082 one year ago and I had no problem.

The firmware installed was 2.0.2.0.01.

One week ago the router began to restart itself after 30 seconds.

I did a hard reset and I installed the older firmware 2.0.0.19.

With the that firware the router worked correctly and everything was ok; 24 hours without restarts.

Then I tried to re-install 2.0.2.0.01 firmware ... and the problems came back but only when I completed the setup for WAN connection.

Reading your post I understood that problem was in connection with modem.

I changed electrical connection of modem and everything, now, is ok.

I don't understand why with the older firmware there were no problems with the same connection but I'm happy because I solved the problem

Thank's

Pietro

I'm sorry but the problem didn't solve!
After one the auto restart went out again. After 45 sec... shutdown.

If I downgrade the firmware everything is ok...

I'm sure not to have electrical problem I also have an UPS di clean the network...

I could let the older firmware but I read the newest one is necessary to use protectlink!

Somebody has an idea to solve my problem?

Thank you a lot

Pietro