cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 VLANs with WAP4410N

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

OK guys I am looking at the VLAN setup for my new WAP4410N wireless access device. I am not sure about the VLAN setup on the RV082. How have you set them up? I setup a port into VLAN2 on the RV082. I could not figure out how to add the network and gateway for the new VLAN2 on the RV082. I also was looking for VLAN tags since the WAP4410N supports them. The only thing I see is multiple subnet settings. Do I need to subnet my class C addresses on the RV082?
I only use my Microsoft DHCP server and would like to add another scope. I have DHCPRelay selected to forward the DHCP requests but I don’t know what the network would be on the RV082
I would like to use VLAN tags on the wireless to control network access without doing a double nat.
How is routing handled for the RV082 for VLANs?

4 Replies 4

davbarre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First and foremost the WAP4410N supports 802.1Q, Vlan Tagging.  The RV082 only supports port based Vlan's.  What I mean by that is the RV082 is not going to tag any packets and does not have provisions for port modes (trunk would be needed in your case with both Vlans specified)

I think this is the root of the issue you are having.

In regards to the DHCP settings, you will not need to use DHCP relay.  That option is only used if the DHCP server is on a remote network segment and is not directly attached.  In your case, you will just leave the DHCP set to disable.

If you are not using the Dual WAN functionality that the RV082 provides, I would suggest purchasing an RVS4000 to accomplish your goals.  Or, for an all in one solution the WRVS4400N supports Vlans and multiple SSID's.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

I guess if we are talking another router then I need support for iPhones and iPads. I have the iPhones working with IMAP but I can't get the iPad to work the same way with IMAP4. I have tried ActiveSync but I am having problems. It works on my network but not out in the wild. I was thinking of switching over to a VPN solution for the iPad and maybe the iPhones. I think my problem will be ipsec. What router would support the iPad with VPN? I may swirch the iPhones over so they are all configured the same which means I would want multiple connections at the same time but not more than 5.  I also still want vlans and trunking. Would an 1811 support all this? Which IOS? Is there a better small business class router?

Hi Lee,

In regards to the Ipad and Iphone connectivity I can't say if it will, or will not work.  I do not have either here to test with myself to verify for you.  I would imagine that anything connected wirelessly and has proper port forwarding will work though.

In regards to the 1811, I would have to send you over to the Enterprise support folks.  Unfortunately we only have Small Business products here.  If you are looking for something more robust and flexable may I suggest you look into the SA500 lineup?  There is an SA520W that will cover your wireless needs as well, supports Vlans and supports IPSec VPN.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

The SA520, I don’t want wireless in my router, will support the iPad and iPhone for VPN? Does anybody have it working? I would consider the SA520 if it works with the iPad and iPhone in a VPN solution. What are the issues using iPads and iPhones with a VPN solution? Pros and Cons?

What is the response time like?