Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 VPN Printing

abtrooper82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have recenly installed a RV082 with two ADSL modems provided by BT. Access to these is done via VPN accounts configured on Windows Vista laptops. The VPN network works fine and everyone has access to their network data and the Intranet/Internet.

What we having problems with is connecting a network printer which they can access over VPN. We have managed to get a IBM1532 network printer working using the following network details by allowing the IP address of the printer through our VPN network/firewall.

IP address 192.168.1.200 - Printer

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - Printer

IP gateway 192.168.1.1 - RV082

DHCP = Off - Printer

During testing in the Lab

The printer was connected to one of the available ports on one of the Broadband modems as all the ports on the RV082 were in use with other PC's.

When we go to site, we had to connect a Xerox C2424 workstation printer, so we configured the device using the same network details as the IBM printer, connected it to one of the available ports on one of the Broadband modems. We could not get the printer to be seen or connected to using this setup.

However I connect  my own  PC configured with the IP port settings above directly to the same modem as the Xerox printer this works but only after we changed the IP gateway address on the printer to match the modem.

If I switch on DHCP on the printer it finds the IP gateway address of the RV082 but will not allow us to send anything to it.

We have limited access to the network settings on our laptop due to security polcies in place by our IT systems administrators.

So I need to know if there is anything I'm doing wrong, anything I have missed or is the Xerox printer not compatible with the RV082 as we have already proved the solution works with a IBM 1532 printer.

1 Reply 1

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin,

since this question is about a product in the Cisco Small Business / Linksys range, I suggest you move it to the community, where you will have a better chance of getting expert advice.

best regards,

Herbert
Cisco Moderator