cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV120W and my problems with it.

rmishra22
Level 1
Level 1

I had high hops for rv120w, apparently, i didn't do much research on it before putting my hands on it. I use it for hoe wireless networking and to connect my xbox to internet. Here are my problems ;-

- The WAN will suddenly drop and in logs i see interfaces showing up with ip addresses again. Its random, so not sure who is ta fault, but the up time for wan interface resets. Max it has gone is from 10 min to 6 hours.

- The IGMP , despite being disabled, shows up in logs along with messages related to above issue as being enabled successfully. So i am not sure whats happeneing here.

- The DNS, My router was setup for to do dns proxy ( without optional dns server ip's ) , which worked but again randomly stops working. So i am forced to specify dns servers under optional and uncheck the dns proxy for the router. Again, random = unreliable

- Last but not the least ...my xbox uses upnp , udp 1704 or something similar, if i restart the them one after another , like first router and then xbox, the xbox live shows up firewall status as "open" .... if because of any of the above listed isses, if i reboot the router without rebooting xbox, the firewall chages to 'moderate". There is no way to delete the old upnp mapping, neither it seems to expire for some reason.

missing feature : cli commands, the usual cisco feel via cli is missing, as there is cli interface.

I am running the latest firmware version. So i am afraid to turn up any other service, coz it is only going to screw up whatever functionality i am able to get out it at present. Very very unreliable product. I should be getting a refund for investigating so much time on a product i brought with my eyes closed, just coz it had cisco name attached to it.

thanks

2 Replies 2

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Partner,

Thank you for reaching Small Business Support Community.

Regarding the WAN suddenly dropping off, I suggest you to disable the Administration>WAN Traffic Meter if enabled, also to do a MTU test top determine the best size to set it up to on the WAN configuration;

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=386

IGMP is disabled and you see some logs about its successful operation, strange, it would be nice to take a look at those logs.

The DNS proxy setting; when enabled, the firewall then acts as a proxy for all DNS requests and communicates with the ISP's DNS servers.  When it stops working would be a good idea to make sure the ISP's servers are reachable and functional.

UPnP Portmap table; only the Active services should remain active by displaying "YES" under "Active" field.

No CLI on these Small Business routers.

If you think about getting a refund on this product, I suggest you to contact your point of sale to determine the possibility and notice you can also contact the Small Business Support Center for immediate and/or further assistance regarding your concerns;

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Thanks for your response Jeffrey but that sounds like submission to known issues to this routers firmware. I can do what you suggested but then i am loosing on features which are supposed to work. That said, does it mean, work is being done to develope a new firmware that can probabaly fix these issues?

Just one more thing...the tracert tool under administartion menu, does not provide results beyond 10 hops !! guess thats also not a news.

I bought this from my friend who closed his business recently. I will check with him if he has a possibility to return it from where he bought ?

thanks