cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV130 end-of-life, what's the current equivalent?

Kim Holburn
Level 1
Level 1

Since the RV130 has reached EOL, what is the current equivalent router?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/networking/routers.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Neither the RV130x or RV320 are "blazing" when it comes to VPN performance, but in comparing their built in PPTP servers on current firmware the RV320 is dramatically worse--around 3Mb bandwidth vs ~10Mb--than the RV130.

This has been a problem for years, and Cisco has done nothing to improve the RV320 in this regard (as I test each new firmware release just for interest sake). I've converted most of my sites needing VPN capability on these routers to different vendors' products with competent L2TP IPSec VPN implementations.

If these VPNs are not relevant, either of these routers are still fast and stable for basic routing and clients using them for those purposes have been satisfied with their speed and reliability.

As a side note, the RV320's VPN performance is not a platform limitation. The Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite uses basically the same hardware and currently does ~35Mb through its L2TP server, and its PPTP caps around 20Mb on it when tested via Totusoft LAN Speed Test file copies to SMB shares.