cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV134W wireless 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz range

home user
Level 1
Level 1

My Cisco RV220W (which has external antennas) router offer wireless coverage in every corner of my house. But my upload speed was limited to 1 Mbps (RV220W and ADSL2 modem bridge connection). The solution to the upload speed problem was to upgrade to a VDSL2 router. Therefore I decided to go with RV134W Cisco router, which doesn't have external antennas. Upload speed problem will be solved soon when the ISP will make all the necessary changes, but I ran into another issue. RV134W wireless signal is very weak in some rooms even in 2.4G mode.

Could an external antenna fix the issue with the wireless coverage? Which settings will help to increase the wireless coverage : WMM, U-APSD (WMM Power Save), Wireless Channel Width while still offering decent speed.

Firmware upgraded from RV134W-A-K9-NA to :

PID VID: RV134W-E-K9 V01
Current Firmware Version: 1.0.0.29

This is RV220W with an option to set transmit power 30 dBm.

This option is not available for RV134W.

rv220w_power.jpg

This are wireless specs of RV220W:

rv220w_wireless.jpg

This are RV134W wireless specs:

rv134w_wireless.jpg

My wireless settings: 2.4G settings.jpg

1 Reply 1

Hello,

There are basically two things that might help improve coverage: Power and high gain antenna.

Power usually comes with maximum value (30 dB) if not in your case, just go hot on it. External Antenna is another handy resource but not always is possible. Depends on the model.

A third option is use more than one device. In my case, I use the third option.