cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 QOS and "Bufferbloat"

jwadle1216
Level 1
Level 1

I have just installed an RV180 router for a new customer.  The customer has Comcast Internet at 180Mbps.  With default settings, the router LAN speed tests at 180Mbps down / 12Mbps up, but with a "bufferbloat" rating of "F".  

In the past (with other routers), I have been able to reduce bufferbloat by setting QOS with speeds limited to 95% of maximum (e.g. 170Mbps). Typically this improved bufferbloat to B with very little loss in speed.

I tried this with the RV180, but found that the QOS settings only allow a max speed of 100Mbps.  Using this max, my download speed is reduced to 60Mbps and the bufferbloat improves to C.

Why are QOS max speeds limited to 100Mbps on a gigabit router??  What do you recommend to reduce bufferbloat but still maintain speed?

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't have one of these in my network but was just interested in the issue , I see if cryptos enabled these drop to 50mb throughput standard either way but if you don't have that enabled take a look at this below some user managed to increase his back up worth a shot

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11540571/rv180-poor-performance-speed-tests

kimmoriesk - disabling WAN traffic meter worked for me.  I went from 51mbps down to 205mpbs just by disabling this traffic meter.  Thanks for the tip!

FW 1.0.4.14

Thanks for your suggestions, but none of these made a difference for me.

Note that with QOS off, I am getting full speeds.  The only reason I was trying QOS was to reduce bufferbloat.

I'm looking for suggestions to reduce bufferbloat without compromising my up/down speeds.