cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W and two completely separate networks.

jpittsCSA
Level 1
Level 1

First off, let me state that I'm not an IT person.  I'm an architect working in a small office that happens to be home to two seperate businesses, each with their owner network.  However, these two networks want to use the same large format printer.  I recently purchased the RV180W since the Cisco representative told me i would be able to connect both networks to the router so they can both see the printer without seeing the files on each of the other networks.  We simply want to share the same printer.

Network 1:

Network 2

Large Format Printer

Network 1 has the RV180W as it's router with three gigabit switches.  Computers and peripherals are connected to the three switches.  1 port open on the last switch.

I want to configure the RV180W to see both 192.168.4.1 and 192.168.2.1

What settings need to be modifed in order to accomplish this?  Do I need more equipment?  Is it easier to put a wireless card in one of the computers on the 192.168.2.1 network and then set it to see the 192.168.4.1 network?

I read somewhere about VLAN's... whatever they are.

Again, talk to me like I'm a novice.  I'm not fluent in this field.

All the best,

Jay

3 Replies 3

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jay,

Thanks for writing.

One quick question about the setup. Does each business have a separate internet connection, or do you share the same internet connection?

This will determine whether you need an additional VLAN or a VPN.

All the best,

-David Aguilar

Cisco SBSC

1-866-606-1866

Dave,

I appologize for the delay.  I sent a reply to the email notification only to realize that it might not actually go to you.

The two networks have separate internet connections.

I appreciate any help you can offier.

Thanks for the reply.

Jay

Thanks for the update, Jason. As you have two different internet connections, you will need a VPN. A VPN creates an encrypted connection, or tunnel, across the internet between your two routers. Information from one network will then be able to access the other, and vice versa.

Setting up a VPN has several requirements:

-Different network subnets at each site - You have already configured this correctly.

-Public IP addresses on the WAN interface of each router. You can verify this by going to Status>System Summary and looking for the WAN (Internet) Information. If the IPv4 address begins with a 10, 172.16, or 192.168, your proably have a modem/router, and will need to bridge it.

Depending on your internet service provider or model of modem, you may need to bridge your modem in order for you public IP address to be on the router, and not the modem. Such a configuration is often referred to as bridge or passthrough mode.

Once these requirements are met, configuring the VPN itself is realitively straightforward. Just login to each router and go to VPN > IPsec > Basic VPN Setup. Here, you will enter a name, password, and the local and public IP addresses of the other router. Thus, you will point each router towards the other.

Once you verify you have a public IP address on the WAN interface of each router, I would be happy to provide you with specific instructions on how to configure the tunnel. If you run into any issues, you can always call us at 1-866-606-1866. We would be happy to assist you and can even setup a remote support session.

All the best,

-David Aguilar

Cisoc Small Business Support Engineer