Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W Port Forwarding

Keith7RWA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I am updating our old Belkin router with this much more capable RV180W. On the Belkin it was easy for me to connect from outside the office to any individual client PC inside the LAN, behind the router's firewall. For instance, if I wanted to screen share with the Macintosh in the office with the an IP of 192.168.0.9 from outside the office I would simply initiate 'connect to server' from the remote computer then type:

vnc://74.94.85.86:999 (where 74.94.85.86 is our fixed public IP address).

In the Belkin router the "999" portion after the colon could be any digits really (called an 'inbound port') and I could designate those digits to direct me to a specific internal IP address on a certain port. In the above case, internal IP address 192.168.0.9 on port 5900 (the port for VNC screen sharing on OS X).

So by setting up various iterations of numbers after the colon I could gain access to various services on various machines. For instance "999" might be for VNC to that machine and "998" might be for file sharing via AFP.

"899" and "898" might do the same thing but for a different computer in within the office's LAN. Hopefully that makes sense.

I am going nuts trying to do this on the RV180W but I'm certain it's possible and maybe even more flexible.

Any help appreciated! (see the attached screen shot for how Belkin does it)

0 Replies 0