cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

(RV220W)HELP! How do I open for acces to my FileZilla server?

Mr.DJ_DK_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody - please help a network configuration noob!  :-)

I want to share files with people, so I downloaded FileZilla's server software package(free) and now need to get my RV220W router to allow traffic to that server....and because of my limited understanding of how it all works together, I'm currently stuck.

So if some one could guide me a little, that would be really great!  I read some replys from people about port forwarding, but can't get it to work in my situation....and probably because I lack basic understanding of how the communication happens.....like which ports go where and what IP adress should be linked to another and etc.

Here's what I know though:

FileZilla server - IP 127.0.0.1/port 21 + username + psw

RV220W router IP 192.168.1.1

My "outside IP" = 37.75.XXX.XXX

More info required?

Now, what steps do I need to do, in order to let others acces my FileZilla server via a FTP klient?  :-)

Oh and I use latest RV220W firmware release(menu seems re-organized between some versions).

Input greatly appreciated!  :-)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bmbrady77
Level 1
Level 1

You need to go into the router's firewall (sometimes called Security) section and set up an access ALLOW rule from ANY IP adress on the WAN side to the local IP address of the FTP server.Then go into port forwarding (Sometimes called Apps and Gaming on some routers) and set up a single port forward for port 21 to the local IP address of the FTP server. The 127.0.0.1 address you stated is Local host, which is not the network IP address of your server. Go to the command line and run "ipconfig /a" without quotes. Find your ethernet interface and it will tell you the assigned IP address. You will probably need to set this server with a static IP address either by doing a DHCP reservation in the router, or going to the properties in your server's network connection and doing it there under TCP/IPv4 properties. This way your server will not change IP addresses when the DHCP lease runs out.

Hope this helps..

You seasoned guys on here kill me...You should be willing to help people no matter what thier experience level is. There was a time when you guys didn't know squat either......

View solution in original post

No problem. You can turn off the firewall completely to see if that is blocking your FTP server. Also, try connecting another computer to your network and access it locally. If you can, your ISP may be blocking FTP (port 21). If not you may have a problem with your FTP server config.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

bmbrady77
Level 1
Level 1

You need to go into the router's firewall (sometimes called Security) section and set up an access ALLOW rule from ANY IP adress on the WAN side to the local IP address of the FTP server.Then go into port forwarding (Sometimes called Apps and Gaming on some routers) and set up a single port forward for port 21 to the local IP address of the FTP server. The 127.0.0.1 address you stated is Local host, which is not the network IP address of your server. Go to the command line and run "ipconfig /a" without quotes. Find your ethernet interface and it will tell you the assigned IP address. You will probably need to set this server with a static IP address either by doing a DHCP reservation in the router, or going to the properties in your server's network connection and doing it there under TCP/IPv4 properties. This way your server will not change IP addresses when the DHCP lease runs out.

Hope this helps..

You seasoned guys on here kill me...You should be willing to help people no matter what thier experience level is. There was a time when you guys didn't know squat either......

Mich Brady> Thanks for trying helping me!  :-)    I think you just might have given me the info I needed. I thought the FTP server adress was the 127.0.0.1, since that adress is what is shown inside the FileZilla server interface(and what else could I use the adress info. for, I thought).

I tried doing a ipconfig command in the dos prompt, but is stil a bit confused, as to what is my FTP adress.

Got 3 different "Tunnel adapter isatap" id's and another 1 with a "Teredo" in the name, which I don't know what is used for(IPv6 adresses it seems).

Then I've got an Cisco IPv4 adress....is this what I'm looking for?  Tried adding it to an firewall allow rule, togetgether with a port 21 forward....but still am denied acces when trying to login from my android phone via the AndFTP app!  :-(   But there's also so many little options to enable/disable, that I easily could miss/overlook something!

Edit: Attached screenshot of ipconfig info

If you are using windows 7, go to "start" and type ncpa.cpl in the search box and hit "enter". This is your network connections pane. Find the one that you are connected on, either Local Connection or Wireless Connection, whichever one you are using, and double click it. Go to the details tab and you will see the ipv4 address there.

If you are using an older version of windows, go to start--->control panel. The double click "network connections". Then follow the same instructions above once you're in the network connections pane.

Mich Brady> Thanks again...my assumption was correct about the IPv4 adress I asked about before.  I still haven't got it working though. Maybe I need to add more rules to the firewall, in order for it to work or something....will try out some diff. settings and see if I can get further.....but thanks for your input so far!  ;-)

No problem. You can turn off the firewall completely to see if that is blocking your FTP server. Also, try connecting another computer to your network and access it locally. If you can, your ISP may be blocking FTP (port 21). If not you may have a problem with your FTP server config.

Mich Brady> 'Lo again my friend!  :-)    This is just to tell you, that I finally got it working!  :-D

It was "2 firewalls" that blocked my acces....one being the RV220W router and the other being Windows 7's own!   ;-)

What I did:

1. Added a "custom service" under "firewall\advanced settings" and called it FileZilla_Server and chose TCP and port 21 as the only port.

2. "Firewall\Acces rules" here I added a rule and choose inbund wan-lan + always allow and under "service" I choose the FileZilla_Server custom service, I created in step 1. And finally, I added the(real) FTP adress(should be something like a 192.168.x.xxx adress, if you are new to this like me ;-)  )

3. Added the FileZilla server.exe to the Windows 7 firewall and enabled both options -private/public.

Succes!!   :-)

But thanks again for your pointers Mich, would definitely have taken longer without them!  ;-)