cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W WAN Connection drops frequently

jwrooks
Level 1
Level 1

I'm on firmware 1.0.0.26 and I'm seeing frequent drops in the WAN connection. Most network clients don't notice the drop because it reconnects, but the X11 windows server running over a VPN drops the session and I have to re-establish it. Also, at the same time I experience a 15-20 second silence gap on my VoIP phone connected to vonage (not over VPN). Never happened on my Linksys router, but it happens many times a day on the rv220w. When the drop happens I get the errors listed below in the router log:

Fri Apr 15 09:53:21 2011(EDT) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] platformHandleDBUpdate:dot11STA op=18 row=1
Fri Apr 15 09:53:21 2011(EDT) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] /pfrm2.0/bin/bwLimitConfig /tmp/system.db 18 dot11STA 1 failed. status=-1
Fri Apr 15 09:53:21 2011(EDT) [rv220w][System][EVTDSPTCH] umiIoctl (18, UMI_CMD_DB_UPDATE(4)) failed. table=dot11STA row=1
Fri Apr 15 09:53:23 2011(EDT) [rv220w][Kernel][KERNEL] ERROR:endChantRecv: protocol PNAC returned !OK
Fri Apr 15 09:53:23 2011(EDT) [rv220w][Kernel][KERNEL] ERROR:endChantRecv: protocol PNAC returned !OK
Fri Apr 15 09:53:34 2011(EDT) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] platformHandleDBUpdate:dot11STA op=9 row=1
Fri Apr 15 09:53:35 2011(EDT) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] /pfrm2.0/bin/bwLimitConfig /tmp/system.db 9 dot11STA 1 failed. status=-1
Fri Apr 15 09:53:35 2011(EDT) [rv220w][System][EVTDSPTCH] umiIoctl (18, UMI_CMD_DB_UPDATE(4)) failed. table=dot11STA row=1

Can anyone tell me what these errors mean so I can diagnose the problem?

12 Replies 12

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting. What type of internet connection do you have?

I have a PPoE connection for AT&T ADSL. My modem is in bridged mode so I use the rv220w to authenticate for the DSL connection.

Jim,

I suspect that you have an MTU issue. I have seen many cases where someone has DSL with a consumer router and everything works fine. They purchase a Small Business router and start seeing issues like you have. Normally with DSL you should set the MTU in the WAN settings to 1492. Sometimes it needs to be even lower. See the following link for a way to test your MTU.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3318881#3318881

Please keep us updated.

I performed the procedure you suggested to determine the MTU. The max ping size that worked without fragmentation was 1464... Adding the 28 bytes gives me 1492 which is what I had the router MTU set for. The problem is still happening.

Hi Jim,

Go to Firewall ->Basic Settings -> Attack Checks and disable "Block Fragmented Packets". If that doesn't resolve the issue try disabling some of the other settings there. You may find that one of those settings is causing the problem.

mpyhala,

Thanks for your assistance on this. I tried the suggestion you provided and turning off the attach checks didn't help at all. I tried turning them all off at the same time and it didn't help.

I must say I'm very disappointed in the quality of this Cisco product. I expected much better. Because of all the problems I'm unable to use the device for anything except a very expensive wireless access point. I had to go back to my Linksys firewall.

Please let me know if Cisco ever gets serious about fixing this device.

Jim

I've already tried that and the PPPoE login never connects. See my post from this morning in this discussion: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2076616?tstart=0

Hi Jim,

I have the exact same problem. Do you have a solution you can share with us ?

regards

I ended up replacing my DSL modem and it stabilized my WAN connection.

Thank you Jim.

I cant change my cable modem, its not mine. It's a loan from my ISP me and I dont have those drops with any of my other routers: Belkin, D-Link and a Linksys.

Marc

I have the same issue, see this thread. Cisco support is working on it for me: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2114705?tstart=0