Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 - Buggy, slow performance, unreliable POS

Hi

This has been a frustrating experience to say the least. I've spent way too much time trying to get this thing to work properly, to no avail...

1. Performance gets slow (EXTREMELY slow) when the RV320 uptime is more than 24 hours. Reboot it and it runs acceptable. This clearly indicates some kind of errors with the firmware.

2. Buggy UI (invalid SSL certificate, Chrome won't even let you admin this thing). The source code for the UI is truly horrible, but i'm not surprised. I'm surprised it works at all.

3. No firmware updates for OVER A YEAR now (but RV320 hasn't been EOLed). Release notes mentions known issues, but Cisco clearly isn't interested in fixing them.

4. Slow performance (both WAN and LAN) as mentioned above, can't even stream movies over LAN. I'm seeing 30-60 Mbps throughput over local network, when it's supposed to be a gigabit router... (Yes, I've turned off all security features which could slow things down such as SPI, etc). Yes, I've tried MTU sizes in multiples of 28, I've tried everything.

Cisco promises performance, security and reliability for RV320. But in my experience, you can only pick one of the three.

I've heard somewhere on this forum that a alpha firmware is available, please send it to me and I'll try it out.

8 Replies 8

oliver00111
Level 1
Level 1

Slow performance in LAN: Since I use managed gig switches internally to divide my little home network into different cabling segments I can stream in my gigabit network. I had the idea that the gigabit switch in RV320 was slowing down my internal performance and was hard to handle my home environment with TV, Blueray, A-tv, 1 server, 1 NAS, 2 notebooks and 2 workstations throughout one cable connection.

I am also interested in alpha or beta fw.

Hi oliver00111,

The new firmware 1.1.1.19 was just released today. Please download it here:   https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005929&flowid=43302&softwareid=282465789&release=1.1.1.19&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Regards,
Cindy

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

skelzer01
Level 1
Level 1

yep. same exact issues....
new firmware is out today. v1.1.1.19.

shame, considering I already gave up and moved on to a third party replacement.

plan for '15... gut all my Cisco hardware and upgrade to new devices with better support.

hi

I downloaded the updated firmware earlier today, and so far so good. The performance did not significantly degrade over time, it's relatively stable. 

For me, the updated firmware introduced a new bug, it just randomly halts traffic. Even though it's an interesting puzzle to try and make it work with all the bugs, I'm giving up on it and returning it to the store.

Hi

Just wanted to post some updates.

I gave up with the RV320. I've since bought an old ASA 5505, and was up and running within a day.. With the ASA 5505, using the exact same config (connecting to the same VPN server on the other end), here are some performance comparisions. Both the RV320 and ASA5505 are using the same exact configuration, AES-192/SHA, connecting to the VPN server on the other end (running OpenSwan in Rackspace). I did not change the configuration on the Rackspace side, so I'm absolutely sure it's not any configuration errors. Here is the performance test:

RV320: ~2-6mbit/s IPSec L2L (and dropping over time, dropping packets, slow internal network)

ASA5505: ~20-33mbit/s IPSec L2L, solid, it just works!

I'm running the latest firmware on the RV320 but it's still unreliable. Cisco, is there any updates on this? The device does not function properly.

revhamilton
Level 1
Level 1

With reservations, I tried this router.  The reservations came from reading of the obvious resource leak in the firmware.  I bought it anyway.  I get exactly the same behavior.  I have to reboot each morning.  Not a solution.  I have a VoIP phone system also; I cannot afford to lose Internet connectivity.  I updated to the 1.1.1.19 firmware of 2014-12.  Didn't help.

I have had the same DLink gateway for about ten years, but, I need something faster now. It actually has some better features and a better user interface than this Cisco unit.

BTW, I can't connect to it with Chrome; Chrome login just return to the login screen; I have to use Firefox.

It is a shame that Cisco put their name on products such as this.  I have had the same experience with other Cisco SMB products (Did someone say Linksys?).  Their commercial products are very nice.

I decided not to frustrate myself as an engineer trying to make it work; I got an RMA to return it,.  Haven't had it but about a week.

On the upside, I got about 60Mbps throughput on my Cox connection, which is 2x what I could get with my old DLink.

adrperis1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm facing the same problem here, I cannot access GUI Web Interface, when I enter my credentials it does not open the GUI Web Interface, and after some minutes, loading the interface, it cames back to the autentication page, without showing nothing.

I'm almost giving up from this and returning it to the vendor, and change to another brand 2 WAN router... Any tips?