cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 is failing to e-mail logs through SMTP with most e-mail service providers

Dan Burget
Level 1
Level 1

I have the RV320 router with firmware v1.3.1.12 (2016-04-27, 10:46:12) and have not been able to get it to successfully e-mail logs (using the send now command to test) despite trying every possible set of SMTP server settings in the setup menu for multiple e-mail service providers.   I have tried the correct settings (tested from e-mail clients and even other LAN devices capable of sending logs, like a NAS) for Verizon, Gmail, and Outlook with no success on the RV320, with one exception.  The RV320 did connect with Gmail to send a log, but only when using port 465 SSL AND setting gmail preferences to allow "insecure devices" to login, which is not an acceptable workaround.   The router would not connect to Verizon using port 465 and SSL and would not work with Gmail nor Outlook with the preferred method of port 587 using TLS.   

The issue seems to be a failure or lack of capability of the RV320 to properly negotiate an SMTP session using the now common and required STARTTLS SMTP security handshake.   Interestingly, I tried a free online SMTP TLS test relay site to receive the SMTP commands from my router as the "man in the middle"  and pass them on to Outlook while logging the session for diagnostics.  Then it worked and the e-mail was sent, but apparently because the relay server negotiated the STARTTLS handshake with Outlook after receiving the SMTP commands from my router.

I have a case open with small business support that has been elevated and they are asking me to do packet captures on the LAN and WAN side (why the LAN I don't know because the RV320 will be connecting to the SMTP server on the WAN side).   That is not practical and I am hoping this can be simply be replicated in the lab or by another user with another RV320 with the latest firmware trying to connect to any common ISP/e-mail provider via SMTP.   In the mean time it would be great to hear from anyone experiencing the same issue using this firmware and what the resolution was.

0 Replies 0