Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 Kernel bad length error

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello there all,

Has anyone else noticed the router logs (RV320/325) showing this a lot? 

2015-09-06, 00:59:25Kernelkernel: xt_TCPMSS: bad length (589 bytes)
6 Replies 6

invictus-tech
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, did you ever find a resolution ?

This seems to be solved with the latest new update from March 2016 (1.3.x).

i am running firmware ver 1.2.1.14 . as a work around, i disabled the firewall which stopped the errors. this is not an option for most people but in my case client only had access points connected to the router for public wifi access for customers and firewall is not required. when i get time i will try loading the 1.3.x firmware.

The Cisco site does not have a March 2016 (1.3.x) Firmware for the RV320.

stevej
Level 1
Level 1

On my RV320 I'm running v1.3.1.12 (2016-04-27, 10:46:12)
I'm seeing this up to 5 times per day - is the root cause known?

Is there a fix?

nextcomm10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I found the following information. Basically the router is under a DDoS attack.

Below you will find additional information about the Linux kernel vulnerability that's being explode.

National Vulnerability Database

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-18017

CVE-2017-18017 Detail

MODIFIED

This vulnerability has been modified since it was last analyzed by the NVD. It is awaiting reanalysis which may result in further changes to the information provided.

Current Description

The tcpmss_mangle_packet function in net/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.c in the Linux kernel before 4.11, and 4.9.x before 4.9.36, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (use-after-free and memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact by leveraging the presence of xt_TCPMSS in an iptables action.

Source:  MITRE 
Description Last Modified:  01/03/2018 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: