Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320: loss of connectivity undetected

glenn.demoor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In order to get a failover connection, I put an RV320 router in front of two internet connections from different providers.

The RV320 Wan ports connects to the respective ISP modems  Wan1 > Proximus , Wan2 >Telenet   (local ISP)

Sadly, when either connectivity fails, the RV320 does not detect it.

It seems that as long as the modems provide an IP-adress even a dummy one, the RV thinks the connection is good.

Today it is the Wan2 connection that's down. In normal conditions, that modem gives out it's external IP address.

However when the connection is down, the IP given out is a dummy local one 192.168.100.1.

The RV320 keeps sending requests to the disrupted Wan2, rendering internet access from local cliens impossible

Only when manually releasing the Wan2 address or physically turning off the wan2 modem, the traffic is redirected over Wan1 and internet access is restored

A similar behaviour occurs with Wan1.  the Wan1 device is a modem/router.  When that internet connection is down, it's router keeps on working and provides a valid local ip. 
There also the RV is blissfully unaware of the problem.

Can this issue be rectified?

Best regards

glenn

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ami Xiao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I think you can try to add other NSD option on RV320,  System Management->Dual WAN->Modify Wan1/Wan2 settings.

Since the default NSD value is default gateway, router will always determine connection is alive, try to increase NSD judgment options.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ami Xiao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I think you can try to add other NSD option on RV320,  System Management->Dual WAN->Modify Wan1/Wan2 settings.

Since the default NSD value is default gateway, router will always determine connection is alive, try to increase NSD judgment options.

Hi,
Thank you for the NSD information. This seems exactly what is needed.
I must have overlooked that setting initially. Later on, I mainly searched in setup, not system mgmt.

Thank you