cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 port forwarding confusing

Klayton Collier
Level 1
Level 1

I've just installed an RV320 for my home network. Immediately I updated to 1.2.1.13 and did a full wipe and restart.

Got problems with the port forwarding options. I've got a machine sitting behind the router for SSH/VPN/File serving/etc. I can't get any external ports to open up and forward to this machine. Messed with all the forwarding options and access control. Nothing seems to get through. The manual is extremely sparse on details. Can't even ping my WAN address externally.

My configuration is extremely standard at this point. Router is at 10.0.1.1 and the machine I need is at 10.0.1.3, wired straight into the router. 1 WAN connected (to WAN1), no VPN, and a VLAN for VoIP. Nothing that I could imagine causing firewall/forwarding issues.

11 Replies 11

cristgon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Klayton,

Thank you for using the Cisco Small Business forums. My name is Cristian, I am an eContent developer and I am part of the Small Business Support Community. I found this article in our knowledge base that may be of some help:

I hope you will find this answer useful, and I hope you reply back with any questions or concerns.

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Regards,

Cristian Gonzalez

Cisco eContent Developer

I've tried everything on that page 50 times

Klayton Collier
Level 1
Level 1

After looking at the log files a bit, it appears the port forwarding assignments are being entered and accepted correctly. The issue seems to be at the firewall/WAN. Nothing is making it through to the assigned ports.

Are you referring to the device's firewall, your computer's operating system's firewall or some third party firewall?

The RV320's firewall. Doesn't specifically say denied, but connections are not making it through.

I haven't tried turning it off yet. Not exactly something I want to try.

I don't see anything in the admin guide that suggest the firewall would block any ports. If you using the Windows operating system, I found this guide on how to open a port. Here is one for Macintosh. 

The machine I'm trying to connect to is Linux (Debian). It worked fine before with my Tomato based RT-N66U which I swapped straight out for an RV320. The problem has to be at the router.

Maybe we should start with why I can't ping the WAN address externally when the firewall is set to respond to ICMP.

Have you confirmed that the two devices are on the same sub-network?

The router is functioning as a DHCP for the other device. Wouldn't that automatically put them on the same subnet?

That is correct. Are you able to connect to the router at all?

Klayton Collier
Level 1
Level 1

I think I figured this out. There was some issue with my ISP. Cable modems are very temperamental things is seems.

Thanks for the help!