cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 Config Backup / restore corrupted

bruce C
Level 1
Level 1

I have a rv325 which I noticed has apparently had some parts of the admin section get corrupted.

I am unable to backup or restore settings as it says the page can not be found. I also can not do a firrmare flash from the admin page, it just hangs. I have managed to use tftp to go back one release and then reload the current firmware but the issue still exists.

Is there any recommended way to fix this issue without losing my openvpn certs and settings if I go back and try using a much older firmware to revert to initially?

Also, i know the hardware is beyond support and Cisco does not seem to be offering any real replacements for very small business. Does anyone know of something similar as a replacement which would also have the Openvpn Server installed or install able???

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I can't see any other options but factory reset and configure the device again (or try to) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you Marcee.

I am not expert at this but can you tell me if i do  a factory reset ( and hope it works after that), is there a way to restore the openvpn configurations and certs so I do not have to reinstall the files on each users device(s) or will i need to start from scratch.

I assume if  do a factory reset, i can then do a fw upgrade and restore from my last saved configuration backup. is that also correct?

One more question, does the unit possibly have bad memory which is causing the issue (I have since found several other page not found errors in the web GUI, the time page does not work and several others) or is it more likely the earlier vulnerabilities were exploited and someone just messed up the files having gotten root access to the router?

- I don't have administrative experience on these devices , possibly user files can be kept. Yes I would assume that restoring the last saved configuration is correct. As far as the cause being hardware problems, that is difficult to determine , best is to configure syslog server and follow-up on logs send to it , to provide insights in the future , (also concerning attacks and or unauthorized access for instance).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

If you're looking for openvpn server support, generally I've heard of Asus consumer routers having this feature and working well.  I wouldn't worry about them being consumer routers as the rv-series is a lot like consumer routers with business features so the Asus should be on par.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com