cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 2 External IP Addresses

Ackerchez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a modem from my ISP set to bridge. In order to compensate for any changes that might happen in my IP allocation from my ISP I am using a Dynamic DNS which I update from the router itself. 

When I update the Dynamic DNS from the router, I see that it updates with the same IP address that the router is receiving from the modem via the DHCP setting. However, when I try to see my ip address via a website like whatismyip.com, I see a completely different IP address and not one that is even close to the one I am seeing in the router. Therefore, if I try and update my dynamic DNS from a process on my laptop, it is updating with a completely different IP address. This constant changing of IP address updating to the dynamic DNS is making problems when trying to access systems like cameras or intercom from outside because it is almost like one of these external IP addresses are not real. 

I called the ISP and they are convinced that this issue is one which the router is meant to handle. That the router is meant to be able to synchronize between these two addresses and handle both traffic cases. Does this make sense? If so, how is my router meant to handle these two addresses? At the moment the WAN is set to DHCP mode and is taking all IP and DNS information from the cable modem set to bridge mode. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ackerchez
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else in a similar situation, the issue here was the ISP putting me into Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT for short). Soon as I got them to take me out of that NAT, I was able to use Dynamic DNS as expected to handle any changing IP addresses. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Ackerchez
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else in a similar situation, the issue here was the ISP putting me into Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT for short). Soon as I got them to take me out of that NAT, I was able to use Dynamic DNS as expected to handle any changing IP addresses.