Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 and VPN Client Security

VideoR1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We recently got an RV340 router. I managed to set up L2TP/IPSec for VPN purposes. As I understand, the protocol first negotiates a secure tunnel before transmitting user information. I'm using AES/SHA 256 for the encryption method and PFS (perfect forward security).

As per other threads, PAP is apparently the only available option for sending user information. However, when the credentials are negotiated, the data is being sent over a secure tunnel.

My questions are:

1. If the key is compromised, can an attacker intercept user credentials?

2. Would "Client-to-Site" IPSec be any better/worse?

Right now, L2TP/IPSec is working under Windows. If I have to use an alternative, I would also need it to work in Windows.

1 Reply 1

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

For L2TP-with-IPsec tunneling, there are 2 components in play here

1. The actual L2TP tunnel that is established between the L2TP-server and the remote L2TP-client

a)  By design the L2TP tunnel does not have encryption/protection of its own, so its just a plain insecure

[external-ip-header[udp-port-1701[ppp-header[Internal-IP packet]]]]

b) Here becos the L2TP tunneling uses ppp to encapsulate the internal-ip-packet, during l2tp tunnel negotiation to establish the "l2tp-tunnel" the ppp  user-authentication is done....so here on RV340 CHAP is also supported and this requires a Radius-Server (connected   in lan-network of RV340) for offloading the chap user-authentication process

- If you want to use chap-auth, then you will need to create a user-group and user-accts in the Radius-server and just create the user-group ONLY in RV340 (and select this user-group in the l2tp-server config page)

- If you want to use just PAP, then you will need to create a user-group and local-user-accounts (in the user-accounts page) on RV340

2. Becos the L2TP TUNNEL is insecure by design, it was decided to use IPSec Tunnel "to protect the L2TP-TUNNEL"

a) So this IPSec-Tunnel protecting the L2TP-tunnel (completely from L2tp-tunnel negotiation and the subsequent l2tp-data channel after the l2tp-tunnel is UP) uses transport mode...

- it is becos the IPsec tunnel policy is to protect ALL traffic using udp-1701 port (which is what is used by L2TP-tunnel inside the ipsec tunnel) 

So when both L2TP-Tunnel and IPsec Tunnel are configured and ready on both L2TP-client and L2TP-server gateways....when the l2tp-client starts to initiate the tunnel connection for negotiation...the first udp-1701 packet from the l2tp-client service will trigger the initiation and establishment of the IPsec tunnel between the windows/Linux L2TP-client Peer and the RV340-l2tp-server

- after the IPsec tunnel is established (it takes about 3.5 to 4 seconds to come up), the L2TP-tunnel negotiation resumes and during this l2tp-tunnel negotiation process going on inside the IPsec tunnel, the L2tp-ppp-user-authentication takes place...and this could be using PAP or CHAP (if user has selected Radius-based user-group and configured Radius on RV340)

- And after the ppp-user-auth, the L2TP-server will assign a virtual-ipaddress to the L2TP-client..

- Then once all the negotiation of the L2TP-tunnel is finished, all the L2tp-encapsulated data traffic (with source ipaddr as the virtual-ipaddr on l2tp-client) is protected by the IPsec tunnel between the client-pc and RV340...

So in summary, yes....if you want a native pure IPsec tunneling between the Windows-Client and the RV340...you can use the Client-to-Site config-page

a) to configure a IKEv1 IPSec VPN-Server on RV340, and then use either Greenbow or Shrewsoft vpn client to establish a IKEv1-based IPSec Tunnel. Please note this tunnel will be tunne-mode and there will also be a user-auth process which is XAUTH...and therefore Local-user-accounts in Local-User-Groups can be used on the RV340

- else if you have Radius configured, you may offload the IKEv1 Xauth user-auth to a Radius server connected in the lan-side of RV340

Note: Windows does NOT have a built-in IKEV1 pure IPsec client built-in. It has ONLY L2TP-with-IPsec client which uses ONLY IKEv1

b) to configure a IKEv2-based IPSec VPN Server on RV340, and then use the built-in IKEv2 IPsec client on Windows. This uses EAP-authentication for user-auth

- therefore for EAP-auth support, the Radius configuration is definitely required on RV340...local-accounts cannot be used for EAP-auth..

hope this is useful