Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 Downgrading firmware from 1.0.03.29 to 1.0.03.22

Mat81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have a RV340 Router and it's running on the latest firmware 1.0.03.29. Now I want to downgrade to 1.0.03.22 but it won't let me do that. When I try to upload the old firmware file it say's "upgrade failed".

I checked the logs and it says there that the router could not authenticate the firmware file. The backup firmware on the router is just 1.0.03.28 (need 1.0.03.22).

It would appear that the new firmware authentication that came with 1.0.03.24 onward prevents me from downgrading.

Is there anything I can do to get around that?

Help would be appreciated

7 Replies 7

Hi

This could happen because the file was not ttansferred properly and the router recused the file. The router is probaly checking the check-sum of the file and finding some inconsistency. 

I would try to download the file again and transfer to the router. Make sure the connection between PC and router is perfect. 

Mat81
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I’ve actually downloaded the file twice and also tried to downgrade to 1.0.03.24 instead (as a first step). The router rejects both, 1.0.03.22 and 1.0.03.24.

I think this might be due to the new “installation verification mechanism” that is mentioned in the firmware’s release notes. Is there any way I can get around this?

Unfortunately I do not have an old inactive image on the router.

(Active firmware is 1.0.03.29 and inactive image is 1.0.03.28)

Any Ideas ?

"

A new firmware installation verification mechanism is optimized to reject invalid images. DO NOT downgrade the Firmware from 1.0.03.28 to 1.0.03.24 or other earlier versions. If you really want to downgrade, select inactive version (1.0.03.24 or earlier) then reboot the router. If you have downgrade issues, please call Cisco support. Some of the configuration options may not be compatible when the firmware is downgraded. If some of the features do not work after the firmware downgrade please reset the device to factory default settings and reconfigure the device or restore a copy of the previously backed up configuration file with the downgraded or earlier firmware version."

Can you check with Cisco? 

Mat81
Level 1
Level 1

As for contacting Cisco, I was hoping a an agent would eventually notice my post and reply.

I do not have a support contract with Cisco so I don’t know if I can contact them.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

If you really want to do this, you have a few things to try:

- factory reset the unit and then try to downgrade

- use the usb/serial cable method to load the firmware you want

- use tftp to load the firmware you want.

As far as the usb and tftp methods, search for threads here (model shouldn't matter as long as it's an rv-series) and read through the instructions on them to figure out what you need to do.  It might require some fiddling to get it to work, so it would be nice if you post what works here.  Good luck!

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Mat81
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you

So far, I tried to downgrade via USB Stick (as described here):

https://www.al3xclarke.co.uk/cisco-rv-series-gui-login-loop/

without any success, unfortunately…

You may have to try a few times.  I think I read on here it took someone three tries before it worked.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com