cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 - Reflash

alex
Level 1
Level 1

I recently bought an RVS4000, and unfortunately forget the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, and flashed it to the latest firmware (2.0.2.7). Subsequent to doing that, it has been inconveniently dropping the connection to my ISP and completely locking itself up to a point where a manual reboot is required, usually about 4 hours after any outgoing activity (which usually means 11pm!). Googling my way round seems to suggest that this could be a firmware problem. The accepted wisdom is that I need to use the RVS4000 Upgrade Utility to get back to a lower version, so I have downloaded and installed V1.3 from the RVS4000 support area. However, though I think I followed the instructions (including trying setting the host PC to a fixed IP address, which was not supposed to be necessary), but I am consistently getting a "Broadcast Error" message, which I am guessing means that the utility and the RVS4000 aren't talking. Is there some trick anyone is aware of to get them to talk?

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Alex, if you wish to downgrade the firmware and the router is accessible, you may do it through the GUI.

The Recovery tool is supposed to be only used if the Diag light is flashing red.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom - I will try that. Unfortunately not on-site today, so I can't get to it immediately. I had got hold of the wrong end of the stick from some of the discussions and thought that the utility was for any downgrading. Given the nature of the problem I outlined above, do you have any recommendation for the "best" firmware, to solve the problem? I note the there is both 1.3.2.0 and 1.3.3.5 on the web, as well as the 2.0.2.7 that seemeingly caused the issue

Alex

All of the firmware versions are stable. First, try to hold the reset button for about 40 seconds and see if the router works properly after a reset of the unit.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/