cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Seeing "Unknown MAC Addresses" on RV042G

Heron
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV042 router at home and was trying to add some static IP addresses to that I can access things easily after a power outage/reboot (when DHCP restarts IP addresses change).

When I selected "Show unknown MAC addresses" I see several addresses that are not in the DHCP range. The MAC address decoder at ieee indicates these are from devices manufactured by Human and Thomson.

How can I figure out if these are legit?

Thanks!

Max

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

You could attempt to ping the ip addresses associated wit the MAC addresses.  If it replys then the devices are active on the network.

You could change your LAN IP of the RV042, reboot and readdress all the known device.  If the unknown mac addresses show up again on the new LAN subnet, then they are attached to your network.

Best Regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

You could attempt to ping the ip addresses associated wit the MAC addresses.  If it replys then the devices are active on the network.

You could change your LAN IP of the RV042, reboot and readdress all the known device.  If the unknown mac addresses show up again on the new LAN subnet, then they are attached to your network.

Best Regards,

Mike

bradnicolson451
Level 1
Level 1
Restarting your computer resolves these complications generally in most situations. Looking at the connections could be considered as a vital step. The local area computer network may malfunction if they are defective.
It's also wise to examine the local area connection, whether it is enabled or disabled on your computer or another device.
From time to time your firewall software could potentially cause various troubles. Yes, a number of firewalls of the operating system may stop the function of the LAN connection and block up the IP Address. And so, you have to check the firewall software options.

Source: 192.168.l.254