cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up multiple networks

dkla10001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I am trying to set up multiple networks on a home system. I have the following hardware installed:

Cisco RV220W Network Security Firewall

2 Cisco WAP121 Access Points

I would like to create a guest network that only allows access to the Internet and perhaps a printer.

A work network that allows access to all data in the home.

A family network that allows access to all data except work computers.

I have seen how to create multiple networks in the findit utility, but am not sure about which setting to use for each network?

I have a second configuration question. I have installed two WAP121 Access Points in upstairs locations that are not receiving a strong signal from the firewall router (located downstairs). Right now each access point has its own network name, so if someone is roaming the house with a computer, they need to select a different network depending on which part of the house they are in. I have read about using the bridge feature so that a computer can have continuous Internet access wherever they are in the house, but am not sure how to set this up?

I was also wondering if the bridge feature will work with having multiple networks, ie. someone connected to guest network will stay connected wherever they are in the house, and someone connected to the family network will stay connected wherever they are in the house?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. I am glad to assist you with your configuration, for the access management I advise you to set access rules in order to provide access to your 3 WLAN group. For example permit the access from Work group for all LAN, denied access from Family to Work group, permit access from family to guest and denied access from Guest to LAN, and also if you want to give access from Guest to the printer you need to include it to Guest LAN. Below I will share to you an article explaining how to set Access List in your RV220W

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=1367

Now, for the configuration of your WAP121 I will share an article bellow in order to guide you with this configuration, also if the signal is not strong enough you can you could see some advises here in order to improve your signal.

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2871

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Luis,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have tried to set up the Work Group Bridge, but am not doing it correctly. Should I be setting up the 3 networks (work, family and guest) using the Cisco RV220W Network Security Firewall or the Cisco WAP121 Access Points? It is not clear to me how I would set up networks using the firewall, but that is the main router, so I assume that is what I want to use.

When I try to set up the Work Group Bridge, there are so many configurations that are not clear to me, mainly because I do not understand much IT language. Is there a step by step instructions for someone who doesn't fully understand about SSID's and VLAN ID's? I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

One more piece of info. We just got a static IP. Would that make a difference in how I should set up the networks?

Thanks again for any help.

David Kanegsberg