cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Up VPN

daericgraeber
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any step-by-step instructions on how to set up VPN on a RVS4000? I've never done it before and honestly have no clue what settings I need to apply.

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Daeric,

Thank you for posting. I am not aware of any step by step instructions. Are you using the QuickVPN client or are you configuring a Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel to another router?

I assume I would need to be using the QuickVPN Client. I'm not trying to connect to another router. I'm just trying to set up VPN from wherever I am back to my apartment. I'd like to be able to coconnect my iPad and Macbook Pro. I have a dynamic IP address though. Would this be an issue? It rarely ever actually changes but I also have a dyndns client running on my macbook at home so I can always track it if it does change.

QuickVPN is only for Windows. For the Mac, take a look at IPSecuritas (Lobotomo software, free) or VPNTracker (from Equinux, $120). They both support IPSec connections with keyphrase identification, with or without certificates. Your router should have the option to create a GroupVPN - start there, set the remote group type to FQDN-only (since you have dynamic IP) and give it an arbitrary name (eg "Remote_Laptop"). This is the "local" name that you'll set up on your VPN client. The actual Phase1/Phase2 groups and encryption methods don't matter TOO much provided you set IDENTICAL values on both router and client.

The iPad client only supports Cisco-style IPSec connections with a username and password. I've never set this kind of VPN up.

Matt