Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared files with RV110W

Bast
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm using a machine from my local network (192.168.1.x) and I'm trying to reach a machine located behind my firewall RV110W (10.10.10.x) in order to access to its shared files (Windows). I tried to use the DMZ but this solution seems doesn't work. Do you know how to do?

27 Replies 27

do you have a firewall on the server?  you might need to add the 192.168.1.x  network into the trusted networks,

is the default gateway set correctly on the server?

you can turn on logging on the rv110 and see if there are any denies.

You can also download wireshark on the server,

start a capture, and

look for packets coming from your client, and packets going back to the client,

if there are no packets coming in, there may be an issue with the port fwds, if it's coming in, but no replies, the server firewall or security settings may be blocking.  there also may be a message in the security log on the server (if logging is turned on)

it sounds like a firewall on the server, or a routing issue...

on the rv110,   Networking >  Routing

you're in gateway mode, right? 

The clients would see the 192.168.1.20 address, not the 10.x.x.x address.

If you change to router mode, then the rv110will not be natting, and the devices will see each others real addresses.

If you are routing and not gateway/NAT to find out if there is a routing issue on the 192.168.1.1 router (what type device is that?) add a route on one pc pointing directly to the wan of the 110

route add 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.20

hope it helps,

Dan

do you have a firewall on the server?  you might need to add the 192.168.1.x  network into the trusted networks,

I disabled McAfee on all my machines (server and client) to be sure.

is the default gateway set correctly on the server?

you can turn on logging on the rv110 and see if there are any denies.

You can also download wireshark on the server,

start a capture, and

look for packets coming from your client, and packets going back to the client,

if  there are no packets coming in, there may be an issue with the port  fwds, if it's coming in, but no replies, the server firewall or security  settings may be blocking.  there also may be a message in the security  log on the server (if logging is turned on)

I did a ping to my server (10.10.10.101) from my client (192.168.1.15). I got this :

http://i.imgur.com/YxcqZdP.png

it sounds like a firewall on the server, or a routing issue...

on the rv110,   Networking >  Routing

you're in gateway mode, right? 

The clients would see the 192.168.1.20 address, not the 10.x.x.x address.

If you change to router mode, then the rv110will not be natting, and the devices will see each others real addresses.

Exactly. I'm currently using the router mode (I've noticed I can't join 10.10.10.x with gateway mode).

If  you are routing and not gateway/NAT to find out if there is a routing  issue on the 192.168.1.1 router (what type device is that?) add a route  on one pc pointing directly to the wan of the 110

route add 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.20

hope it helps,

I've already added this route but with or without, there is no change.

So if the pings are okay, communication is there.  That's a good start.

If \\192.168.1.20 is replying with the permissions error, try the direct share url, ie, \\192.168.1.20\sharename.  Windows networking is shakey at best and I've seen an error message like this go away when mapping directly to the share.  Let me know what happens.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I tried to enter the paths \\192.168.1.20\filename or \\10.10.10.101\filename but nothing. I can only reach shared files inside 192.168.1.x network (from 192.168.1.x or 10.10.10.x machines) and in using netbios name.

So strange.  Can you also reach these same shares inside those networks using the IP address?

I didn't realize you were in router mode vs gateway mode.  What results did you get with DMZ in gateway mode?

So strange.  Can you also reach these same shares inside those networks using the IP address?

I can reach 192.168.1.x shared files from any machine. 10.10.10.x shared files are only accessible from 10.10.10.x machines.

I didn't realize you were in router mode vs gateway mode.  What results did you get with DMZ in gateway mode?

Nothing. My DMZ is still active and using host ip address 10.10.10.101. I see no change when I switch between gateway and router mode. Besides, even when I don't use DMZ mode.

I really don't understand why I can ping 10.10.10.x machines from 192.168.1.x when I use router mode wheareas I can't reach their shared files (and I can reach 192.168.1.x shared filed from 10.10.10.x).

So let's try this, connect the 10.10 server to the 192 lan and see if the share works directly from a 192 system.  If so, then the shares are all set up correctly and it's just the router config that's not.

As far as the router config, reset it to default settings (either manually undoing changes or the reset button), and then set the dmz to the 10.10. server and have it alone connected behind the router.  Then see if it can ping and see the 192 network and vice versa.

So let's try this, connect the 10.10 server to the 192 lan and see if  the share works directly from a 192 system.  If so, then the shares are  all set up correctly and it's just the router config that's not.

Without the router, there is no problem for sharing files.

As far as the router config, reset it to default settings (either  manually undoing changes or the reset button), and then set the dmz to  the 10.10. server and have it alone connected behind the router.  Then  see if it can ping and see the 192 network and vice versa.

I reset my router config but no change. Pings work for both direction. But shared files from 10.10 server still can't be joined from 192.168 machines.

I think it's time to pull out wireshark and listen to the individual packets on both sides and see what's going on.  Your configuration should be working the way you have it set up.

When I try to reach share files (192.168.1.15 --> 10.10.10.101) :

http://i.imgur.com/0gYEQl2.png

The same with a filter (192.168.1.15 --> 10.10.10.101 - can't reach the files) :

http://i.imgur.com/MgbLmaL.png

10.10.10.101 ---> 192.168.1.15 - reach the shared files ("arg" and "Users") :

http://i.imgur.com/v0v3dXl.png

Bast
Level 1
Level 1

I've finally bought a new firewall from another manufacturer. It works well now and right the first time. Sorry for the waste of time and I thank the participants on trying to help me.

I'm glad you found a solution.  I would've tried this a long time ago if it was an option!  You spent a lot of time on the rv110.