cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Split DNS in Cisco RV345

j.bos
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple RV345 across several of our locations. We also have one location that is using a RV325 router. The routers all have an site-to-site connection setup to a central server location. We have two domain controllers setup at the server location.
For the internal DNS resolving we want to use the split-dns feature within the site-to-site vpn settings. When we enable the split dns function it works fine for a couple of hours and then it randomly stops working and processing the DNS requests. The strange thing is that we also have a RV325 on one location with the same setup but on this router the split-dns function works fine for weeks. It we use the internal router diagnostic function to do a ping it will give the error:
Error: ping: bad address 'dc01.int.mydomain.com'

If we disable split-dns at the vpn settings and then enable it again, the internal ping function of the router works for a couple of times and then starts failing again with the same error. The only solution is to restart the router and then it will work again for a few hours. 

As a workaround to make our internal windows network work we changed the DHCP of the LAN network so the primary DNS server is our internal one and the secondary is the router. If the VPN connection then drops people still have DNS through the secondary DNS server.

Is anyone else having this problem or does someone know a solution for this problem?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Krishna_c, thank you for your reply.

I had contact with Cisco support and the problem is being caused by a problem in the firmware of the device. If anyone encounters this problem, contact cisco support for a solution. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

krishna_c
Level 1
Level 1
Since you mentioned that the feature works for a few hours, rekey of child_sa might be causing the issue. Do you have logs for this issue (Status and Statistics-> View logs)?

Hello Krishna_c, thank you for your reply.

I had contact with Cisco support and the problem is being caused by a problem in the firmware of the device. If anyone encounters this problem, contact cisco support for a solution. 

Hi J.bos, thank you for your update. So the problem is now resolved after you contact Cisco support.

Yes the problem has been resolved, cisco has a solution for this problem. If anyone encounters this issue they should contact cisco support.

@j.bos wrote:

Yes the problem has been resolved, cisco has a solution for this problem. If anyone encounters this issue they should contact cisco support.

Can you share the solution, please?  
I have the same problem, running dual-WAN, because one of my ISPs doesn't support native IPv6.

If the solution is posted here, then others, like myself, can reference and do a DIY fix (rather than everyone opening tickets).

Thanks.