Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP527w VPN setup

toddz1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to know how to configure SRP527w  without a static outside  ip address to establish a VPN tunnel with VPNC3000.

Thanks

32 Replies 32

Hi,

You have to purchase the cisco client for Windows so there shouldn't be any place you can just download it. Maybe one of the 3rd party ones will do the job for you? I think shrewsoft has basic cisco VPN support in their client for Windows but I have no idea how reliable it is.

Regards,

--Ian

Hi Ian.

Thanks for pointing me to the shrewsoft client. I've downloaded their client and will give it a go although their last stable release was in 2010!

You would think if you buy a router with a VPN server that you would get the VPN client with it. Another reason Cisco annoys me. I bet to buy the Cisco VPN client from Cisco would cost more that what I paid for the router.

If the shrewsoft client is no good, I'll go back to using a OpenVPN server running in a virtual machine on my home server to connect into my network. Convoluted I know, and something I was trying to avoid by buying a router with a built in VPN server but Cisco may give me no choice with their overpriced services for SOHO users.

Hi,

I think all you need is a support contract to get the cisco VPN. I don't know how much that is for the SRP527 though or if that would entitle you to it. Maybe give cisco a call and see what they say.

With regard to the VPN support, when the router first came out it didn't have it so maybe that's why they don't have anything like that on offer for this router. It works with the following that I know of without additional software being needed:

Macs

iPads

iPhones

Android devices (latest ones anyway from what I've heard, I haven't tried this one)

So for a lot of people it's still a nice bit of functionality cisco added to the router.

Regards,

--Ian