cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trend ProtectLink install on SA540

jimhall01
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to activate a Trend Micro ProtectLink license on a new SA540.  I have upgraded the firmware to 2.1.18.  Went online to Trend's website and successfully activated and registered the license.  My profile on Trend's website is showing the current license active until 2014.  However, I was not asked for an IP or anything to do with the actual device.  So my question is how do I get this installed on the actual device.  The only options on the device are two web links (Step 1 and Step 2) to Trend's website which is where I successfully activated the product.  What else needs to be done to install the license?  The device has been online for over 24 hours now with no change.  Thanks for any info!

-Jim

3 Replies 3

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

I'm re-composin this post because the version I wrote yesterday was after having a long, tiring day and I was ready to rip something in half, namely the SA520 or perhaps just some innocent paper, who knows.  So here's the new version:

Jim I'm in the same boat and this whole process is fairly disorganized.  A good effort by Cisco, but not quite enough.  When you go to License Management in the SA520, there's Step 1 and 2.  I completed Step 1.  The result was an email coming to me with an activation code.  I took that, went to Step 2, which opened Trend's website again and from there, though I've forgotten now the specifics, I think it had asked me for an IP address along with my other registration info.  Maybe that was Step 1.  Either way, I didn't fill it in beacuase there was no instruction telling me it was required, and further, the tet field wasn't even a required* field, so I skipped it.  I've filled out 100's of online forms in my time and never get asked that, so by habit I skip what I don't feel is required and that they haven't marked as required.

Anyway, apparently by providing said IP, Trend's server will contact your SA520 and "insert" whatever has to be done to enable the license.  This is what I gather, though I havne't confirmed since one cannot find a quick answer to anything I find.

Sop I called Cisco SB tech support, was conferenced with Trend Micros upport, who said he'd be generating a new code for me and I'd get an email soon.

I'm assuming this just means that I re-do the process from before but after getting off the phone I wan't sure if the Trend Micro fellow understood my problem (beacuase he didn't ask many questions so how could he), or, he gets this call all day long, which seems probable considering how many posts are on thiis forum about this, so it was just routine for him.

So we'll see.  The Cisco SB support # is  866 606 1866, pick Option 5 for "products including ProtectLink" I think it was.  This is your only avenue to get through this process I believe.

I'll post my own results here later this morning.

PS:  Ok, I edited last night's post, and merged it with this morning's new info

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Could you verify your router has the correct system time?

It won't be able to connect to the Trend Micro license server correctly if the system time is way off.

Sorry I am just getting b ack to my Cisco posts.  Between Cisco and the other 50 vendors I deal with I don't have a lot of time it seems to keep on top of forums

For anything going on with our stuff, we resolved the issues by following the processes outlined by standard support for this issue - contact Trend and have them re-issue a key.  The time was already set correctly.  It seemsed there was just a problem with the keys beintg issued, so upon getting a replacement, all was well.