cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access admin console - WRVS4400N...

purchases
Level 1
Level 1

Hi first time poster and Cisco forum user -  although I hasten to point out that I have owned and used an 'IBM' type PC since 1988 and have always managed to get things configured correctly until NOW! :manfrustrated:

...and have never been so frustrated - apart from the last time I tried to use a Linksys product (I cannot remember the exact model - someone gave it to me as part payment for a job -  I wound up throwing it away and buying something else). I had the WRVS4400N recommended to us by a friend as we run a small FTP server to share promotional materials amongst sales operatives around the world, wanted to protect it from intrusion and was told that a Cisco Linksys product with a VPN was the way to go.

I duly purchased a WRVS440N and have been trying to log into the admin console via both browsers (IE9 and Google Chrome) that are installed on a laptop running Win7 which in turn is the only thing connected to the stated device via ethernet port 1... I have tried accessing it via http://192.168.1.1 and have even tried a suggestion from another forum to try https://192.168.1.1 - this only results in my being told that the address does not have a trusted certificate and I even tried every suggested workaround...:manfrustrated:

I have tried all kinds of reset periods from 10 seconds to a minute, both hot and cold and each time the result is the same - I type in 'admin' and 'admin' in the appropriate boxes and the dialogue box continues to return to the browser window with empty fields...

The shame is that I have managed to re-flash a BT Voyager 190 ethernet modem successfully with DynaLink v3.29a firmware (which allows it to be used with any ISP besides AOL [for whom this modem was solely intended]) and can set it up as a DHCP server, non-DHCP with a single link to another server or non-DHCP and no link.... The point is the modem works... I'm using it right now to type this! We have a single static IP from our ISP and the BT modem is working just fine (as is the TP-Link wireless modem/router that the WRVS4400N was intended to replace)... there are other options in it's firmware for port forwarding, etc and I'm convinced that it wil be adequate for use in conjunction with the WRVS4400N.

I have to concede that the WRVS4400N was not sold to us as NIB; it was sold as re-conditioned and was shipped to or via Ingram Micro Distribution from Cisco Systems, Veldweg 3, Herkenbosch 6075 NL (Holland) via UPS on or about the 31st of July, 2012... there is a shipping label on the original packaging that tells me that so it has in fact been back to Cisco at some point and for some reason. It was purchased from an online dealer in the UK. I do suspect - however - that this might be resolved with a little help from an expert.

Has anyone got a clue?

Many thanks,

Rob

3 Replies 3

davidpw01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rob,

not sure what problem you are describing. The warning about the certificate not being from a trusted authority is normal behaviour - it is the browser saying that the certificate has not been directly issued by a "trusted authority: (i.e. one that you browser knows about).

Can't you just continue to the site (should be one of the options)?

David

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to reply... Yes is the short answer - but the problem wasn't a dodgy firmware upgrade or anything of the sort...

I simply could not get started with this device - because it had been sold and returned to said supplier who simply assumed the original customer was telling the truth when they said they hadn't used it and had simply decided to return it unused... nor had the supplier checked to make sure that the user interface had been reset to defaults.... so it had simply been shipped to me with whatever username and password said 1st hand customer had put into it...

Fortunately I know a proper IT professional or two... One of whom has managed to find and download the proper installation manual and re-set the device properly for me...

I shall find out how tomorrow and post the info right here... apparently it's not as simple as holding the reset button in for 'x' amount of time... and am quite happy to share this and any other info I may glean from the experience..

BTW - it is a V2.0 made in April 2011 - apparently these are quite a bit of kit and are no longer made...

Many thanks to anyone who has even scratched their head over this :manhappy: ...

Will shout up soon...

Rob

Rob,

To reset the router to factory default settings:

"If you are experiencing extreme problems with the router and

have tried all other troubleshooting measures, press and hold in

the Reset button for 10 seconds. This restores the factory

defaults and clears all of the router settings, such as port

forwarding or a new password."

That is a direct quote from the Admin Guide, found here: (Page 20)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/wrvs4400n/administration/guide/WRVS4400N_AG_OL-20048.pdf

Make sure the router is powered ON when you do this and do not interrupt the reboot process. If you are unable to access the web interface after a proper reset the router may be faulty. In that case I recommend that you return it to the reseller.

If you are using a recent version of Internet Explorer, try Compatibility Mode. Chrome or Firefox should work fine. As David stated, it is normal to see the certificate error when you log in.

- Marty