Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect to static IP on a new modem RV042G

Have been running successfully on a static IP from comcast for years through a comcast-business owned Netgear modem.  Aquired a new Netgear CM1200 modem and worked with comcast to register that and keep our static IP setup (presumably).  

After verifying on a direct connect to the modem that inet was running, I powered up the RV042G which still had all the same/proper static IP configurations that had been working (had only been using WAN1 for years - WAN2 was not enabled).   The RV042G will NOT recognize the internet - nothing on the LAN could get through.   

I reset the RV042G to factory start and it received random IP from comcast and everything on LAN could then access the internet, BUT nothing using our static IPs would work (portal page, VPN, etc.)  So I changed WAN1 to all the correct settings for the static IP and once again, result being that everything on the LAN could not access internet.

I tried enabling WAN2 - plugging that into a second port on the modem, and when I used the WAN2 default settings, WAN2 received a random IP from comcast and everything on LAN then works.  However WAN1 configured to static IP still does not work - (portal, VPN, etc.)

Comcast will provide NO support (due to having my own modem now) except to state "here is your static IP info" and "we can't see your modem because it is not ours, g'luck".   All their tools to read the modem info was disabled on my account mgmt site when I activated the new modem.  All the comcast folks I've talked to (english as a 3rd language, offshore) have given varied stories from : when you switch modems, all your static IP info must be trashed and you will have to have all new static IP assigned -or- you must 'backup' all your modem info/programmed data and 'program' your new modem with the static IP information -or- you don't need to do anything once they have activated the new MAC / Serial # on the new modem...    

Q1: I'm not the inet expert, but I've never heard of 'programming a modem' that has no router functions (am I wrong).

(note: this new modem DOES have link aggregation abilites, so I'll concede that much) 

Q2: what could be glitched in the RV042G to cause it to not sync with the SAME static IP info on the new modem?

0 Replies 0