cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to install Virtual Passage under Windows 7 (RVL200)

miltonulmer
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using the RVL200 in two sites for some time now. I us IE7 under Vista without any problem.

But using IE8 under Windows 7 there is no way to make it work. I habilitated the download of unsigned ActiveX in IE8, I ran IE8 and Firefox as administrator, but Virtual Passage refuses to install.

Has anybody succeeded in accessing the RVL using Windows 7? Is Cisco (Linksys) working on a solution to this problem?

Milton Ulmer

40 Replies 40

i purchased the netgear FVS336G that someone mentioned in a previous post and have been impressed all around. netgear is my new networking equipment company and the support is good too. i have a small business at home so i need someone who stands behind their products.

i will throw something else out there, if you use windows 7 pro or windows 7 ultimate you can use the virtual pc program that runs XP inside a separate window. then you could use the RVL200 virtual passage. it may not be a fit for you or fit your needs but it is a suggestion. i got by for a few weeks this way until i bought the netgear router. hope that helps.

Donny

Firmware 1.1.12.1 is available now.

I dont think this is new, relleased back in 2007.

Release1.1.12.1 FilenameRVL200_1.1.12.1.img Release Date08/Aug/2007

The latest was 1.1.7 (released on 17/12/2008).

1.1.12.1 should be a later version than 1.1.7. Maybe they didn't update the release date? The date listed in the release notes is 4/20/10

April 2010

These release notes describe the changes and known issues that apply to the

following release:

Software version 1.1.12.1 4/20/2010

Issues Resolved

• Corrected the expired certificate issue with the ActiveX components of Virtual

Passage.

• Corrected a problem where Remote Management and SSL VPN cannot

function properly in Router mode.

• Corrected a problem where Port forwarding cannot be configured properly if

the router's LAN IP is 192.168.0.1.

• A Port for SSL VPN can now be configured using the Web User Interface.

• SSL VPN and Remote Management can be managed (enabled or disabled)

separately.

• Corrected the problem causing Syslog to stop working after the router has

been up for a few days.

• Now supports SNMP sysObjectID.

• Port Forwarding supports multiple subnets. For details, please refer to Setup ->

Forwarding in the Web User Interface

Still no Windows 7 support listed, and it's only been available for what, a year and a half now? C'mon Cisco, or do you want everyone to move to Netgear?

Release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rvl200/release/notes/RVL200_V1.1.12.1.pdf

From the document:

Limitations and Restrictions

When the RVL 200 is upgraded from firmware version 1.1.7 to 1.1.12.1, the SSL

VPN feature needs to be enabled manually.

SSL VPN supports 32- and 64-bit Windows 7 using Internet Explorer only, as

well as 32- and 64-bit Mac OSX 10.6 using the Firefox browser only.

On Windows 64-bit computers (Vista and Windows 7 Operating Systems), to

use SSL VPN, users must install the C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64),

which can be downloaded at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=90548130-

4468-4BBC-9673-D6ACABD5D13B&displaylang=en

so... maye they got it now?

Oops, spoke too soon (didn't see the 2nd page)

Looks like it CAN now be used with Windows 7, but only using IE, and only on 64 bit computers if you've got the C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) installed. Not optimal, but at least do-able. Now, can the config be saved, the firmware updated, and the config reloaded, or do we have to re-do all our settings after the firmware update?

Limitations and Restrictions

When the RVL 200 is upgraded from firmware version 1.1.7 to 1.1.12.1, the SSL

VPN feature needs to be enabled manually.

• SSL VPN supports 32- and 64-bit Windows 7 using Internet Explorer only, as

well as 32- and 64-bit Mac OSX 10.6 using the Firefox browser only.

• On Windows 64-bit computers (Vista and Windows 7 Operating Systems), to

use SSL VPN, users must install the C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64),

which can be downloaded at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=90548130-

4468-4BBC-9673-D6ACABD5D13B&displaylang=en

• SSL VPN does not work with the Safari browser on Mac OS X 10.6. Firefox

should be used as an alternative. SSL VPN does work with Firefox and Safari

on Mac OS X 10.5.

• Changing the MTU size on the Web Administration Interface has no effect on

the actual MTU size used by the router.

• If the HTTPS port number on the Firewall > General page is set to be greater

than 32767, remote management and SSL VPN will not function properly.

• To disconnect an SSL VPN tunnel when running Windows XP, please use the

Disconnect option instead of the Disconnect and Uninstall. Using the

Disconnect and Uninstall option will cause the tunnel to not be able to connect

next time the Windows XP system attempts a connection.

Windows 7 and vista (both 32bit and 64bit versions) are supported... but if you use 64bit you also need to install the C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64),

Either version works with Internet Explorer only, not firefox (bummer!).. hey! we cant have it all I suppose.... it seems like the RVL200 may be saved from the trash can after all... lets test and see...

You should be able to upgrade without killing your config (but I would take a backup just in case for reload after if needed)...

Still not working with Windows 7 64 bit. Updated firmware. RE-ACTIVATED SSL VPN (for some reason, the new firmware keeps the settings, but deactivates the SSL VPN feature). Try to log in via Windows 7 Professional 64 bit using  IE 8 (with Microsoft 2005 C++ Redistributable Package installed), get the following message: Virtual Passage does not support Windows OS 64-bit but installed with IE 32-bit browser.

Okay, found the solution. Apparently Windows 7 has both a 32 bit AND a 64 bit version of IE installed, but uses the 32 bit version by default. In addition, Virtual Passage won't install UNLESS you run the 64 bit version of IE AS AN ADMINISTRATOR. Thanks Cisco for failing to point any of this out...

hartleych
Level 1
Level 1

I got the SSL VPN working on Windows 7 32 bit.  It appears I had a corrupt installation of the tunnel client so I wiped out the installed files described in the latest firmware release.  Make sure you have your VPN portal page closed before you try to delete these or they will still be in use.

C:\WINDOWS\ssldrv.sys
C:\WINDOWS\ssldrv.txt
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SSLDrv.sys
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\WebCacheCleaner Class
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\XTunnelCtrl Class

I also wiped out the Cab files.

C:\WINDOWS\ssldrv.cab

Ran IE 8 as Administrator and it went through.  It gave me a not verified driver message and I also told it to always trust files from the source.  Not sure if that made a difference.

andylam601
Level 1
Level 1

OK, actually allhvacservice below answered the question, but I think I can

make it clearer.

I have windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition. Orginally I couldn't get Virtual Passage to install. After reading allhvacservice's post, I could get it to work.

There are 2 versions of IE8 installed in your OS. The default browser is the 64bit version, but you can also use the 32bit version but you have to do some work.

Go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and execute iexplorer with admin access (right click on ie icon, properties). Run IE (32-bit).

There go you.