cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN cannot ping local site from remote site

josephmychan
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 RV082 routers and setting up Gateway to Gateway VPN.

Site A is static IP, Site B is dynamic IP.
Both routers showed the VPN is connected.

I can ping and access any device from site A to site B.

I can ping the site A router from site B. But cannot ping or access any other device in Site A from site B. (except site A router).

Site A did not set any firewall rules.

Can any one help? Any ideas where the problem is?

2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Joseph,

Usually if you can ping both router's LAN IP addresses over the tunnel then everything with the tunnel is correct.  However you may want to double check your local and remote subnets, to make sure you are sending the correct traffic over the tunnel.

Another thing to check is the firewall on the device your trying to ping.  Most Windows machines will block pings from subnets other then the one they are in.  You also want to make sure the default gateway of the clients on either end is set to their local RV082. 

If you'd like go ahead and post a screenshot or type out your settings out here (for both sides) we can take a look and double check.   We are mostly interested in the local and remote groups for each side at this point, since your tunnel is coming up.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Dear Chrebert,

Thanks for your help. I called the technical support from Cisco. And they connected to both of my routers and find out one of them is hardware failure. No luck. The failure one is Linksys RV082 hardware version 2. Bought that a few years ago. It works normally except on this VPN issue. I think probably it is time to get hardware upgrade!

Once again, thanks for your help!!

Regards,

Joseph