cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to Prevent RV340 becoming a Bottleneck

jasonreg416
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Minor cross over from a switch question - please stay with me.  Caveat - I am not an IT expert, just a guy who can google, but enjoys tinkering.

I am replacing several components to my SOHO network and I have a question related to the best way to connect my router and switch. I have Gb download speed from my ISP (Average 860-900 MB + download when connected directly to the modem) and I am trying to prevent a bottleneck or speed degradation to the max extent possible. I have bridged the modem from the ISP and will be using the RV340 as the gateway (replacing an RV320 which I find significantly slows my internet connection speeds currently). I also use 3 x WAP 371 as APs. I plan to set up several VLANs (Office, Home PCs, SONOS Equipment, Others) but I will need to enable cross VLAN traffic.  I average approx 40-45 connected devices (Both wired 25'ish and wifi 15-18 + (+ occasional Guests)).  All the SONOS gear has wifi disabled and are hard-wired.  My Questions:

1. Am I best to connect the router to the switch and then everything else hanging off of the Switch (Currently planning an SG250X-48) or should I be making use of the Router Ports?
  2. WAPs - off the switch or off the extra Router ports?
  3. Is there any benefit to try and enable static Link Aggregation on the RV340?  Is this even possible?  From what I have read this seems to add increased capacity between the router and the switch.
  4. WAPs - all on the same VLAN I assume (single SSID).
  5. Suggestions of where I am making my life overly complicated or how to get the fastest internet speeds using these components.  Should I be looking at something else?  

Thanks in advance - Jason

30 Replies 30

Hi, sorry to hear.
VLAN is for segmenting traffic and separate traffic.
Adding VLANs for 50 devices is a bit overkill unless you want to separate traffic (Guest VLAN, Smart Devices ) for security.
Performance improvements will be gained if you have 100 or more devices.
So you add complexity with VLANs and you need to carefully check the connectivity of all VLAN ports.
If you have some spare minutes send me a diagram of what you want to achieve.

Best
Jo