Views
Helpful
Replies

[WRV200] Two SSID and remote control?

stevejordi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WRV200 and need to setup a wifi access for a place that is shared. So two questions:

1. How can I have two SSIDs, one for me, one for visitors with my router? Is it by setting up a VLAN ?

If yes, would those persons be able to access the Internet using a separate WPA2 key?

2. I will need to remotely configure that shared wifi by replacing the WAP key now and then, not the

main key for my private access, only the one for visitors. Is it possible to remotely connect to my

router (dynamic IP address, not static) and configure it remotely so each time a new visitor shows

up, I can change her/his WPA2 key ?

If yes, what do I need? Some kind of OpenDNS service?

The idea is for a house that is rented during vacation time. Each time a new visitor would show up,

I'd have to set a new key so the renter can access the Internet for the rental time, and then change

the key remotely to disable access until the next visitor.

Thanks for any clarification.

Steve

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Steve,

Yep I have to admit I have for some time  personally used DynamicDNS because I am too thrifty to buy a fixed IP.

I guess for the silly reason Dyndns was the first in the list of choices in the management gui. .

Next time you buy a Small Business Wireless  Router, move away from the End of Life WRV200 product  have a look at the new RV120W or  RV220W wireless routers,

But the older WRV200 allow for remote management, if you know it's IP address or domain name (via DYNDNS or TZO).

Have fun.

regards Dave

Thanks for the info

But can I split the Wifi with this router or a new one (which I will buy anyway, I have the WRV200 at home but will buy a RV220W)

My main problem is how to create two wifi networks from one router?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Check out the screen captures from the low cost  Rv120W.. It offers mapping four SSID to vlans,

So if it offers trunk VLANs.

Because it offers up to 4 VLANs to wireless segmentation,  it must also provide seperate DHCP scopes for each of those VLANs.

But if i recall the WRV200 did offer multiple SSID ?

Check out the emulator , so you can better understand the featureset.

regards Dave

Cool,

thanks for your help.

I will actually do some testing at home but everything seems in place to actually achieve what I look for.

Steve