Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Mac OS X and iOS wireless incompatibility

m.tapman
Level 1
Level 1

WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router with VPN

Firmware: v2.0.0.8

Wireless Settings: G/N mixed mode, wireless channel set to Auto, WPA2-personal, wireless isolation disabled (both within SSID between SSID w/o VLAN), key renewal at 3600, connection control (MAC filtering) disabled, advanced settings all default, VLAN disabled, QoS disabled, WDS not enabled

Client 1: Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.5

Client 2: iPad running iOS 4.2

Problem: Loss of connection over wireless link after a period of inactivity.

Work Around: Renew the DHCP address lease.

Relevant Info: This doesn't effect a Windows 7 desktop on the same network, nor a Squeezebox Duet system (music streaming gadget).

Before jumping too far into troubleshooting the issue I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem and perhaps come up with a solution? Based on some online comments I suspect it's an incompatibility issue between iOS/OS X and Cisco with the WPA2 settings, but that's just a guess at this point.

8 Replies 8

albertjames
Level 1
Level 1

Micah, I can confirm that I am also using the WRVS4400N, WPA2 and Mac OSX and am experiencing the same problems.

I have two completely different networks, each with a WRVS4400N.  The PCs stay connected wirelessly with no problem.  The Apple devices (including iPhone, iPads and MacBook Pros) all have intermittent connection drops.  The workaround is to disconnect or turn wireless off, and then turn it back on.  Obviously a frustrating workaround, if you're in the middle of a long download or other web transaction.

Can somebody from Cisco please look into this?  I have not had similar problems with any other wireless access points, routers or hotspots.

Micah, have you tried any other security than WPA2?  That would be my next test, to see if WPA works (but I really want to use WPA2).

Thank you,

Albert

EDIT:  I am using Firmware 2.0.1.3 on both of my WRVS4400Ns'.

biztechtchr
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm that I am also using the WRVS4400N, WPA2 and Mac OSX and am having the same problems listed above. I should also note that I am connecting via ethernet and not via wireless. On top of that, when I can connect, some of the websites that I am visiting are loading the mobile sites. I have not tried using any other security. The Mac Book has no problems when I leave the office and connect via hotspots or other WiFi areas. Also I have Windows machines on the network that are working just fine. I just purchased the WRVS4400N and may return it if it is incompatible with Mac OSX. Please advise.

Thank you,
Chris

I am having the same issue with my Apple products dropping off the wireless network. I can only get them to connect by diabling/enabling the wireless interface. Very annoying. Had anyone seen a resolution to this issue?

Nope. I have not heard from anyone at Cisco. I am out of the office until Friday, but I will be calling technical support on Friday if I don't see a reply by then.

I put back my old D-Link router and have no problems at all with my apple products since. Definitely an issue with the Cisco router. Looks like a call to Cisco support is in order.

Ok, I talked to Cisco support today and here is what occured.

1. They changed my MTU settings from Auto to Manual and changed the MTU setting to 1450. (No Change)

2. They noticed that I wasn't running the latest firmware, so I uploaded the newest firmware into the router and reset it to the default settings. (No Change)

After I hung up with Cisco, and one minute before I just packed up the router and took it back,  I started to think that maybe it was the ISP that was blocking certain ports or applications. (I just switched ISPwhich is why I bought this router). So here is what I did and somehow this worked. Don't ask how. Even Cisco couldn't explain it afterwards.

1. I put the Mac's IP address into the DMZ on the router. (I was able to browse all the sites with no problems and with great internet speeds) However I did not want to leave the Mac unprotected.

2. I called Cisco back to tell them that maybe the issue is with the port forwarding on the router.

3. They said if that was true that it would affect all computers on the network, not just the Mac.

4. They said it most likely was a Firewall issue, so we disabled the DMZ and then disabled the Firewall.

5. Once again, no problems. I was able to view all the websites and the Internet speed on the Mac was great.

6. However, I also did not want to leave the Firewall disabled.

7. So we enabled the Firewall and then changed the MTU to Manual and 1500.

IT WORKS. I don't know why and neither does Cisco, but here it is. Just follow what I did and post if you had any success.

EDITED THE NEXT DAY!

NEVER MIND. IT STOPPED WORKING THE NEXT DAY! I am taking this one back.

Message was edited by: Chris Skrzypchak

Thank you for your help. My experience is the same, I cannot connect my Apple devices reliably to the wireless network. Changing MTU settings has had no effect as you have reported. Time for a new device. :-(

I am ordering a RV110W today as it claims it supports Mac OS VPN.