cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2610-1 Ethernet Interface

Jeromy Polachak
Level 1
Level 1

Im trying to use my 2610XM router as my main router in my house. I want to connect it to a computer and to the internet modem as well. Can i do this? It might be a dumb question but im having trouble.

Meaning, If i take a crossover cable from the computer to router(it only has one ethernet interface) how do i connect that to a cable modem? Is this not possible?

I am working on a default routing lab, it says all i need is

• a cisco router with an ethernet interface
  • one straight through Cat 5 Cable
  • One console cable
  • internet connection

Your help is always appreciated.

Jeromy
6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without knowing more specifics of the lab that you are doing it is hard to know for sure what to suggest. But my first guess is that when it says that you need an Internet connection then that would usually be one more interface. Perhaps they make the requirement very general because some people might have an Internet connection that was over a serial interface connection or something like that.

With only a single router ethernet interface it is difficult to get the lab done. On some routers you might be able to connect the router ethernet interface to a switch and configure it as a trunk port. With a trunk you could have one VLAN for Internet connection and another VLAN for the lan side connection. I am not clear whether the 2610M supports subinterfaces and trunking on its ethernet interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That is helpful and I thought it might not be possible. But I have other hardware but I thought the lab itself was a little "off". I have 2 2950G's and 1 3550 switch, I also have 2 2611XM's and 3 2610XMs. So i can do it i just wanted to make sure i couldn't do it with what they said was required. Your time is appreciated.

Jeromy

I mean one 2611XM and i guess its not "off" just off for what i have by having Cable modem.

Jeromy

I was wrong. It never said connect my computer to the internet. I just needed to connect the router to the internet and i could do everything once i did the configuration correctly. BTW i am using Certificationkits labs and they are great and spot on. I have made my own errors but they have always been right lol. I wish they gave better guidance on proper "cabling" of everything, but its good that i mess up so i learn more. I would recommend them 100000%.

Jeromy

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

in theory you can connnect the cable modem to Ethernet 0/0 and your network to Ethernet 0/1 configure the IP addressing correctly and it should work. However in the real world most of the time Cisco routers use serial connections to the internet ... ie frame relay, T1 or similiar

---

Posted by WebUser John Ervin from Cisco Support Community App

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco makes home based routers under the Linksys brand name, and these are sold at regular store such as Wal-Mart, Staples, and Officemax

---

Posted by WebUser John Ervin from Cisco Support Community App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card