cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2801 and T1 connectivity

steven.e
Level 1
Level 1

We planning to use a 2801 router at a remote site with a T1 to connect back to HQ. We will be using VPN.

I plan on purchasing a WIC-1DSU-T1. Is that all I'll need for connectivity?...or will I need a special IOS for the VPN?

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven

The WIC should do for the T1 connection.

If you want to do VPN then you will need an IOS feature set that supports encryption. In general I would suggest the Advanced Security feature set or the Advanced IP Services feature set.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you sir.

Would the VWIC-1MFT-T1 also work in this situation? We have some some VWIC-1MFT-T1 and would like to use them in this manner.

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The type of WIC that is required will depend on the exact type of T1 but the one you mention seems fairly old. The link below lists supported WIC's for the 2800 series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

I would consider the VWIC-1MFT-T1 or VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 suitable.

To do encryption, you will need an IOS that supports it: advanced security or ip services will do the job, ip-base will not.

regards,

Leo

Thank you sir

There is now (or to be released soon) a new T1/E1 high-speed WIC that is made for those not having need for voice nor channelized interfaces, P/N HWIC-1T1/E1.

I believe the price should be lower than VWIC and VWIC2.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Really I'm not sure why the low rating to my post above, as the information I gave is 100% accurate. HWIC-1T1/E1 is a never product and is priced slightly less than VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco