Views
Helpful
Replies

2921 Data vs. Security license

Talal Abbas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to order an 2921 router to serve as the edge router for a branch office. Multiple WAN connections will be terminated on this router, some VSAT, some MPLS-over-Fiber, others may vary. I want this router also to be able to withstand DoS and other types of attackes so I want ISP and IOS firewall features also enabled.

Can I order SL-29-SECNPE-K9 and SL-29-DATA-K9 and activate both on the same router?

I want both MPLS connectivity and IPS/IOS firewall.

Best regards,

Talal

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Talal,

Yes you can install both license on this box.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hello Inayath,

So I simply order CISCO2921/K9 and both DATA and Security licenses. if I do this, can I also get 2 routers in redundancy mode?

best regards,

Talal

Also does a Universal image for 2921 have all the features or does this work in a different way?

Yes you are correct.

Each 1900, 2900 and 3900 system is loaded with a universal Cisco IOS image. Universal IOS image contains all Cisco IOS features. The level of Cisco IOS functionality available is determined by the combination of one or more licenses installed on the device.

REf:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000766

Cisco IOS Software Release 15.0 Features Sets and Universal IOS Images

Generation Two Integrated Services Routers ship with a universal IOS image that contains all the features available for use on the routers. The specific feature set is activated by the use of technology package licenses such as Security, Unified Communications and Data.

Figure 4. IOS Packaging Model for 1900, 2900 and 3900 Series Integrated Services Routers

There will be two flavors of universal images supported on Generation Two of the Integrated Services Routers:

1. Universal images with the "universalk9" designation in the image name: This universal image offers all the Cisco IOS features including strong payload cryptography features such as IPSec VPN, SSL VPN, and Secure Unified Communications.

2. Universal images with the universalk9_npe" designation in the image name: The strong enforcement of encryption capabilities provided by Cisco Software Activation satisfies requirements for the export of encryption capabilities. However, some countries have import requirements that require that the platform does not support any strong crypto functionality such as payload cryptography. To satisfy the import requirements of those countries, the `npe' universal image does not support any strong payload encryption. This image supports security features like Zone-Based Firewall, Intrusion Prevention through SECNPE-K9 license.

For a given flavor and version of universal IOS image, both the Cisco 3925 and Cisco 3945 share the same IOS image. Similarly, the Cisco 1941 and Cisco 1941 Wireless routers share the same universal IOS image. Within the Cisco 2900 Series product family, Cisco 2901, 2911 and 2921 share the universal IOS images for a given type and version. Cisco 2951 has its own unique IOS image different from rest of the Cisco 2900 Series images.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate if this info is helpfull.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card