Helpful
Replies

2960 switches stop responding.

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

Hello.

I have four 2960 running 12.2(55)SE7.

These switches stop responding at the console and vty but other functions are ok.

When I try to connect I receive the banner and no more: no prompt.

Any ideas?

Regards.

Andrea

11 Replies 11

Hello.

What authentication (AAA) do you use on the switches?

Do the switches stop responding simultaneously?

Have you tried any other IOS?

Hello Vasilii.

All switches use AAA with Cisco Secure ACS, which works fine for all other devices, a 2960 also!

Simultaneously? Maybe but I'm so sure.

No, for now I'm looking for a "soft resolution". I cannot power off it.

Many many thanks.

Andrea

Hello.

I remember there were some bug with AAA on 2960, but I'm not sure.

If you are running RADIUS/TACACS+, try to block the traffic between the switch and authentication server to see if it helps.

Vasilli,

I think I need to power off the switches.

Regards.

Andrea

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have four 2960 running 12.2(55)SE7.

These switches stop responding at the console and vty but other functions are ok.

When you console in do you get an error message like "%Low memory.  Try again later."?

Hello Leo.

No, I don't get any message, only the banner!

Thanks.

Andrea

No, I don't get any message, only the banner!

Now this is weird.  Now I've used the exact IOS version you've been using, 12.2(55)SE7, for a year and I haven't seen a problem like this.  

So forgive me to ask you this:  What's the uptime of your switch?

Many thanks for your time Leo.

Uptime? Some days only.

I changed five switches two weeks ago: same model and same version.

One work fine and the others present this issue.

Regards.

Sounds like a configuration issue. 

Do you have SNMP RW community set?  If yes, you can retrieve and/or inject the config using SNMP.

Maybe Leo!

For one of these switches, I was able to login using local account and verify that AAA model was missed. So I reconfigured and verified it again. I tried to access successffully more and more times. Today I'm not able to login again.

This makes me crazy.

However, there is a very simple configuration onboard. But something goes wrong.

I have a read only access with SNMP.

So, I believe I need to power off and load a new version and a good configuration also.

Regards.

I have a read only access with SNMP.

So, I believe I need to power off and load a new version and a good configuration also.

Pull down the configuration of your existing switches with issue (using SNMP) and see if you can replicate the problem on a sand-pit switch.  

If you can, we can definitely do troubleshooting there.  If we find the solution, upgrade the configuration changes using SNMP to the existing switches, however, I don't know how you can do this with SNMP RO.  Are you sure SNMP community string of "private" has been disabled?  Some network switches has this enabled.  (ROFL!)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card