Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 SFP Interconnect Cable - question

robert.jubb
Level 1
Level 1

If i have 3 x 3560s do i need 3 cables

- . connect one to each other then the top one to the bottom one - like the 3750s stacking stacks -- or is it just one cable between each device no cable between top and bottom

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3560 cannot be stacked. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Depends whether you're trying to provide redundancy.  You can create a ring with 3 cables and 3 3560s; you'll need to run some variant of STP to block one of the links.

PS:

BTW, depending on the actual model, you can use copper cables between copper ports or perhaps the special 50cm 3560 SFP Interconnect Cable between gig SFP ports.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

robert.jubb@kcom.com wrote:

If i have 3 x 3560s do i need 3 cables

- . connect one to each other then the top one to the bottom one - like the 3750s stacking stacks -- or is it just one cable between each device no cable between top and bottom

What are you trying to do?

If you want to simply extend VLAN's across the switches to add more ports, then just link one switch (primary) to each of the other with a trunk which includes the VLAN's you want to appear on the other switches, create the appropriate VLAN's on the other two swiches, and you should be good to go.

If you want to form a "chassis" or simgle virtual switch - you can't. 3560's don't support stacking, and therefore will always appear as three distinct individual switches.

If you want to make redundancy, you could make a ring design,  - switch one links to switch two, switch two links to switch three, switch three links back to switch one - but you'd need to watch for spanning-tree issues, because one of the paths would have to be in blocking mode to stop loops.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card