Views
Helpful
Replies

3845 Input errors....

Tim Glen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All

I've been experiencing a problem with my existing 3845's that may mean I may have to upgrade to a newer faster platform.

Currently I have ISP links to 2 providers and run BGP.  Each ISP link plugs into a separate 3845 \ NM-1GE fiber port. Both links are 100Mb ethernet handoff. There is an average of 50 - 60Mbps traversing each link during peak times.   I am experiencing a large number of Input errors on both ISP links almost all of the errors are ignored.     I opened a TAC case and I'm told that the 3845 can not handle this much traffic along with an ACL on the ISP interface and BGP.   TAC engineer tells me that the RX ring of the interface is being overrun and tuning buffers will not make any difference.  CPU util never goes above 25%.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Tim

1 Reply 1

Sonal Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tim,

Generally the 50-60Mbps traffic is a lot on the interface ,  it also depends on the configuration as well

Can you please attach following outputs when the traffic is high:

show interfaces

show buffers

If we are seeing overuns then there is a high probability that the device is reaching its limitation and tunning of buffers will help in the case wherein the traffic is passing from the rx-ring  and then it does not get a place in system buffers.

Regards,

Sonal

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card