Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 Error Log Message

Can someone tell me more about this error:

Aug 14 18:06:17.765 UTC: %C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-VFERPINTERRUPT: VFE RP policerNextTimeMemParErr interrupt. valid: 1 addr: 0x28ED data: 0x6E77466D7F parity: 0

I dont know what exactly is a parity error?

Here is the link i referred to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a0080094793.shtml#topic1

Thank you all in advance.

5 Replies 5

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

Veera,

Please share complete logs. Is this affecting the box in any way, i mean any forwarding issues across this 4k??

Following is what the error means ...

Error Message    C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-VFERPINTERRUPT: [char]

Explanation    An error in the Very-fast Forwarding Engine's Rate Policer was detected. Contents of  the log register are printed out. This could be a parity error in a table that software is capable of  correcting or a fatal error.

Recommended Action    If this message is a fatal error, contact Cisco TAC. Otherwise, no further  actions are necessary.

If this is a one time event, I guess you can safely ignore it as the software would have corrected it.

If not, I would check "show mod", "show diag" to make sure that it doesn't report any hardware failure.

Most of the times, if you see this error multiple times, it would be something that software couldn't take care of & hence points to hardware failure.

HTH,

Amit Aneja

Thank you v much Amit. Yes it happened Just once and it didnt repeat, may be a software error. all mods looks fine.

But can you please breifly tell me what causes the parity errors either software and hardware, how can they affect the blade or module??

Thanks for you time,

Parity problems are common as lightning strikes and like a lightning

strike, chances of it striking the same location is slim. Parity

problems have plagued systems that use this type of memory for decades

now and there is no real fix. The unfortunate thing about this parity

error bit flip is a problem that affect any computing system (that uses

the parity mem). As to what they happen is an unsolved mystery for 40+

years (since early 70s).

Essentially, there are 2 types of parity errors. "Soft" parity errors

occur randomly and rarely and are often the result of a transient issue.

These may show up one time and never be seen again. These usually

require the box to be monitored for further incidents. "Hard" parity

errors may occur frequently over a short period of time. When these

errors are seen  repeatedly, this often indicates a hardware problem and

would require an RMA. Soft parity errors have been proven to be 10 to

100 times more frequent than hard errors.

Another point on software parity errors is that Cisco devices are capable of correcting some errors, I have seen switches reporting that it detected & corrected a parity error, i have seen this lot of times on 6500. What Cisco really recommends is that if the switch keeps on reporting this parity error for multiple instances, get the device/module or memory part replaced. This will be decided by looking at the complete "show tech" and seeing if there is a crash/traceback associated with the hard parity error.

HTH,

Amit Aneja

Niraula_subash
Level 1
Level 1

It looks hitting bug CSCtn27660 & it is fixed in release 15.0(2)SG7.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card