Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X (VSS) unexpected standby reload when entering OSPF command

jarandmoen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Had an unexpected reload of the VSS standby 4500X unit today.

Happend when entering the command "no distribute-list route-map NAME in" in an OSPF VRF router instance,

The standby sup unit came back successfully after the reload.

Here's the log:

Jan 17 08:35:14.057: Config Sync: Line-by-Line sync verifying failure on command:

no  distribute-list route-map SOME-NAME in

due to parser return error

Jan 17 08:35:14.100: %RF-5-RF_RELOAD: Peer reload. Reason: Configuration mismatch

Jan 17 08:35:14.246: %EC-5-UNBUNDLE: Interface TenGigabitEthernet2/1/2 left the port-channel Port-channel2

Jan 17 08:35:14.258: %VSLP-3-VSLP_LMP_FAIL_REASON: Te2/1/2: Link down

Jan 17 08:35:14.258: %EC-5-UNBUNDLE: Interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/2 left the port-channel Port-channel1

Jan 17 08:35:14.269: %EC-5-UNBUNDLE: Interface TenGigabitEthernet2/1/1 left the port-channel Port-channel2

Jan 17 08:35:14.282: %VSLP-3-VSLP_LMP_FAIL_REASON: Te2/1/1: Link down

Jan 17 08:35:14.282: %VSLP-2-VSL_DOWN:   All VSL links went down while switch is in ACTIVE role

--SNIP-

Can't find any open bugs/chevats on this in IOS-XE 3.4.3SG.

Is this something that might happen if the sun is rising, the wind blows in from north, while a dog barks at a bus presicely at 08:35:14 ?

We are not that well versed with VSS setups yet to know if this is one of those things that might happen from time to time or not.

Second 4500X failure in three weeks, though the other event was known bug in 3.4.0.

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jarand

Is this something that might happen if the sun is rising, the wind blows in from north, while a dog barks at a bus presicely at 08:35:14 ?

From the 4500 VSS configuration guide -

Note - if you are configuring your active switch in the morning with a cold wind blowing and you happen to see a bus pass the window whilst at the same time hearing a loud bark then your standby switch will reload.

This is a known bug and the following workarounds are available -

1) do not configure your switches in the morning. However this may not be considered practical by all customers.

2) check the local bus timetables to ensure there will be no bus passing at the time. Cisco cannot be held responsible for late running buses.

3) if you cannot ensure there is no bus passing at that precise moment then the only other known solution is to ensure that there are no dogs in the vicinity. How you do this is up to you but Cisco in no way condones any specific action you may choose to take.

I should probably point out that i don't work for or represent Cisco's views in any way whatsoever

I don't have an answer unfortunately but it does sound like a possible bug.

Jon

jarandmoen
Level 1
Level 1

Brilliant

This should really be made more available, like a field notice at least.

I'll chase down the bus company, someone there has to pay for this obvious lack of time keeping!

(I've sent it to TAC. Our tech partner found this looks very much like CSCuj42720, just in a different disguise)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco