Views
Helpful
Replies

4503 CPU Utilization Spikes When Client Gateway Moved to Router

AntDPre
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a curious situation in which I have a 4503 acting as my campus core switch/router. In one of my buildings I have several servers and clients participating in multicast communications. At the moment all of these systems are communicating within their own building, with their gateway being on 4503. I need to configure PIM on the SVI for the client network but as soon as I do the 4503's processor utilization jumps to 99% and I can barely work with it. As a test, a moved the client gateway to a 3825 that is directly connected (DOT1Q) to the 4503. Doing this gives me the exact same result which I just don't understand. Why would the 4503's CPU jump to 99% even when it is no longer routing for the client network? For some reason, and only with this client network, adding any PIM commands to either the SVI on the 4503 or the sub interface on the 3825 causes this issue. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

1 Reply 1

jc84_
Level 1
Level 1

There are Cisco troubleshooting docs on how to troubleshoot high CPU.  There may be packets that are being punted to the CPU or you might be hitting a bug.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card