Views
Helpful
Replies

73xx router ip traffic management

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am about to implement a 7301 into a network that is connected to the local Telecom as our upstream internet provider.

From this 7301 we will have several customers hanging of it. These customers can choose to either have local network or international network connectivity.

What I basically need to know is whether the router will be able to distinguish between the two? And how? What protocols will we need to run on the router without making the router fall over.

Will BGP help in this instance or will it only be a burden on the router? I have suggested we do use BGP for this instance. It will also be useful for future expansion to have BGP.

Another thing is will CEF be helpful in with this setup?

TIA

wvw

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Willem,

using CEF is helpful for getting good forwarding rates with less CPU load.

BGP can be used and you can associate BGP communities to customers that want different treatment.

You need to cooperate with your upstream provider.

Given your AS is 65000 (as example)

you can add a BGP community attribute of

65000:1 for routes that shouldn't be seen outside the local network.

At the same time you will use a BGP community of

65000:2

in order to mark routes that have to be advertised in the international internet.

You will send to the upstream provider routes with BGP community.

The upstream provider will provide a different treatment to the two sets of routes.

It can add a special BGP community to keep the first set of routes local.

What is nice of this approach is that any change can be implemented in your side only without involving each time ISP stuff.

So I agree that BGP is the right tool here.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card