Views
Helpful
Replies

7600 QoS and Policing

Andre Grove
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've been reading up on how to do QoS on a 7600, which fromthe looks of things is not so simple.

The reason I'm looking into this, is because I have an interface policed at 30mb for all traffic. What I'd like to do is prioritise VoIP traffic.

From my "research" and attempts, I realise you can't do MQC, so this is how I think I can achieve my goal. I'm only interested in the interface that has the policer applied for now.

• Map traffic to appropriate CoS value
    • I'll mls qos trust dscp on the source interfaces and make sure that EF is mapped to CoS5

• On the egress interface with the policer, do priority-queue cos-map 1 5 6 7
      • That gets traffic into the strict-priority queue. Easy enough.
    • This is where it gets a little funky for me
      • With the 30mb policer on, all traffic will contend for the bandwidth. If some naughty traffic with CoS5/6/7 comes along, it could bump all the other traffic off the interface.
      • This is what I think I need to do:

policy-map FOO
    class RPs
    class VoIP
    police cir 6000000
    conform-action transmit
    exceed-action drop
    violate-action drop
    class class-default
    police cir 24000000
    conform-action transmit
    exceed-action drop
    violate-action drop

The RP class is just looking at OSPF traffic - I want to leave that alone. Then I police the VoIP traffic before(?) it goes the strict priority queue. Then police everything else.

There are a few fundamentals that I don't quite understand. I was always under the impression that QoS only gets applied under congestion. Will the interface know it's congested at 30mb on a 1gb interface, or do you have to set the bandwidth statement on the interface?

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm really enjoying working on this; I've not really done QoS work before. Wish I could have picked a simpler platform to start with though.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
    Hall of Fame
    Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I was always under the impression that QoS only gets applied under congestion.

Depends on the QoS.  Congestion based QoS does rely on congestion to trigger it.

Will the interface know it's congested at 30mb on a 1gb interface, or do you have to set the bandwidth statement on the interface?

Normally no and no.

On full featured routers, shapers are used to create congestion before the physical interface would.  However, some line cards might support shaping on the 7600.  I recall the FlexWANs did, and maybe some of the ES cards do too.

Thanks for that.

I found this page that seems to indicate my idea of policing traffic that gets mapped to the strict-priority queue might work (see QoS Flow in the Catalyst 6500):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11_538840.html

I know it's for 6500, but I think most of the logic still applies. Need to look through that whole page now.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card