cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7609 and use the ISP BGP, CPU utilization caused by excessive downtime

wangbin006599
Spotlight
Spotlight

Currently I have a question about and operators to establish BGP process, but the CPUis too high can not be achieved, the specific procedure is described as follows:
Currently I have a CISCO7609 equipment, ISP and operators need to establish BGP, in order to learn all the global BGP routing to, but as far as I currently test down a result,once me and they build BGP, my CISCO7609 equipment will be due to the CPUutilization too high and cause crashes my machine equipment does not work properly.But I listen to some other friends told me, you can modify the BGP my study time, byslowly learning BGP routing to ensure that my CPU not too high, so that you canestablish BGP process. (My friend told me, in general, then 6506 can also learn toestablish global BGP routing through this method.)
So, I would like to ask some of my friends have encountered no such problems, what can make Cisco7609 CPU utilization does not appear in the global routing whenlearning to excessive lead downtime?

5 Replies 5

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First of all, the question would be how many BGP sessions are being established on the router and how many prefixes will be learnt over bgp? Are you doing to learn the whole Internet Routing table?

Also, could you please share the below output:

- show version | in image

- show module

- show mls cef usage

- show mls adjacency usage

There are various factors that could lead to the high cpu condition on the 7600 router. If there are quite high number of sessions and lot of prefixes are being learnt over those sessions. the BGP Router process could consume a bit of CPU initially. The above questions will help understand few of these. Also, pleas note that high CPU may not always lead to crash.

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Thank you for your reply. Because now I need to go and ISP need Cisco7609 equipmentto establish EBGP peer relationship, so operators will learn all the BGP routes, but oncesuch a large sudden import route entry will lead to a 7609 CPU over my equipment high and downtime phenomenon. At present, I normally find to solve this problem, because Iheard that you can learn to control the speed of BGP entries, such as slow learning speed, so as not to appear above problems arise. I do not know there is no suchmethod?

I dont really thinking learning an Internet Routing table is going to have much of an impact unless there are huge number of prefixes flapping which can cause BGP route churn and thus spike of CPU due to BGP router process. Also, The sender cannot send the update any faster than what the receiver can process them. So based on the resource availability and how well the receiver can process the TCP packets (updates), this will be taken care.

The only think that needs to be worried about on the 7600 platform is the mls entries. If you can share the logs requested in my previous post, i can help you adjust the same.

Hope this helps.

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Thank you for your positive reply, I have already found a solution. You can view the following pages you can see Cisco solutions.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/117712-problemsolution-cat6500-00.html

yes. this is what i was talking about on tweaking the MLS for the Internet Routing table.

Thanks
--Vinit
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card