Views
Helpful
Replies

800 Series doesn't get beyond PADO on Annex J

Dan Jay
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I'm configuring an 886 VA (J) to run on an Annex J line ( Deutsche Telekom All-IP / NexGen ).

The router is getting its CD LED on, and according to the pppoe events/packet debugs it is constantly sending out PADI requests and there is no PADO coming back. Because I don't succeed in that, I don't get to bring up the pppoE  session etc. I called the ISP to have them check things  - no results, all fine.

Debugging my dialer results in the traffic getting marked as interesting but fails to be sent out because there is no free dialer (because no dialer binding has occurred and no public IP was assigned.)

What should I post in here for you to look at ?

Dan

5 Replies 5

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dan,

Can you share your config to help us investigate

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Alex - sorry for being late, the Forums were unavailable for some reason.

Further Investigation reveals that the Provider didn't deliver Annex J but Annex B because of their access Concentrators on the street. The box lives in a pretty rural area and Provider has confirmed being unable to deliver Annex J there, but will check if anything is possible.

I know that a B-capable box can be brought to J by upgrading the modem Firmware, but will a natively J-capable box run on  B ?

Dan

Hi Dan,

That's a hard one to find.

I did find this statement in an older release note

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/firmware/release/notes/VDSL2/fwrn35j.html

Note Cisco 880VA Series Multimode VDSL2/ADSL2/2+ Platforms are backward compatible. If necessary, you can download older firmware version at http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/navigator.html.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex,

thanks for investigating. Browsing thru what I have found, it reads "800....optimized for J", at least they don't state it's incompatible. Let's see if the Firmware will run on B; I am waiting for feedback until I revert the config back to ATM mode for B and see if we catch a PADO.  

Unfortunately, my SmartNET does not cover the 800 Series @modem firmware , so I will try my best of luck.

I will report to you later, Keep those fingers crossed.

Dan

ThoScheike
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dan,

it's interesting to hear that your Deutsche Telekom All-IP line has been built on a annex b port since they usually try to bring up those products on their MSAN/annex j plattform that's terminated by a BNG. This plattform requires the use of vlan 7 similar to their vdsl lines.

As you can't use the Ethernet0 interface cause it just won't come up on a adsl line, you have to configure a subinterface on the atm0 port and bind your vp/vc and pppoe-client to that.

!

interface ATM0

no ip address

no atm ilmi-keepalive

!

interface ATM0.7 point-to-point

pvc 1/32

bridge-dot1q encap 7

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

!

According to a quick test I've run, the Cisco 886 VA-J is synchronising on an adsl annex b line just as well as on an annex j line with this firmware:

Modem FW Version: 130205_1433-4.02L.03.B2pvC035j.d23j

Modem PHY Version: B2pvC035j.d23j

Vendor Version: Bpv35j.23j 68

Thorsten

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card