cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing Webserver from internal network

nextgenfilms
Level 1
Level 1

I have a webserver with a public IP address.  It works perfect from the outside but I cannot get it to connect internally.  If I set it with a local IP and then forward the public IP to the internal IP, it works from the outside and inside both.  But when users connect to the VPN, it doesn't.  From reading, it seems I I need to have the webserver with a public IP but then have a NAT rule that somehow allows my internal network to connect to it.  The weird thing is when I do a trace route, it doesn't even go through the router.  It is one hop and that is it.  I finally gave up and called cisco and they told me I have to have a switch between the ISP and the router and bypass the router.  Is that the only way?

I tried adding an A record and it resolves internally but still doesn't connect.  How is this really supposed to be setup?

4 Replies 4

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jason-

Some more info would be very helpful. For example, a basic network diagram, router config, etc. Otherwise, based on what you have provided here I can recommend the following:

1. Assign a private IP address on your server

2. Create a DNS record on your internal DNS server

3. Ensure that internal users can access it

4. Configure NAT on your firewall/edge router to translate the public IP address to the private IP address that was assigned in step 1

Hope this helps!

Thank you for rating!

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

you are supposed to be using static IP addressing, register your web site with ICANN or Internic....

---

Posted by WebUser John Ervin from Cisco Support Community App

I am using a static IP, I'm not an idiot.   I have NAT configured to forward to the local IP address and everything works except for when users connect to the VPN.  The webserver we're using and software is designed to only listen on the PUBLIC ip address.  If I set the webserver with the public IP it can only be accessed from the outside and not the inside since it's on a different subnet.  How can I create a NAT rule that allows the local network to talk to it this way?  Or do I have to bypass the router as stated.

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

You need to configure NAT using the NVI or NAT virtual interface. Slightly different config from traditional NAT. This will help solve your problems.

Google this and you will find the documentation for it.

If you have more questions let me know and ill reply tomorrow. I'm off to bed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card